April 28, 2024, 04:06:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mole Snacks?  (Read 8021 times)

Offline MrHappy0

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Mole Snacks?
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
When someone replies to your thread (topic) you can give a mole snack or take a mole snack. What does this refer to?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Mole Snacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
Any member can give or take a mole snack to anyone's post their reading, once per day.  They can do this for any reason -- usually judging your post in general, or how well you follow the rules.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline MrHappy0

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
So for instance.. you have -68 mole snacks. Does this mean their are 68 times that someone reflected negatively on a post from you?

Might be a dumb question...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:28:34 AM »
So for instance.. you have -68 mole snacks. Does this mean their are 68 times that someone reflected negatively on a post from you?

That's true.

Note that senior members sometimes help in moderation, and moderation never helps in popularity contests.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:51:15 AM »
calculate ratio of + or - snacks to number of posts - this better explains idea of snacks
AWK

Offline cheese (MSW)

• Not a
  • Mole Snacks: +15/-23
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
Anonymous -ve "mole snacks" have no place on an open forum discussing science.  If you disagree with me have the courage to say so. That's how science progresses.
As it is, I have no idea why I received my two -ve snacks almost as soon as began making contributions to this forum.  My answers were correct

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »

Might be a dumb question...

Actually, I always thought it DID, despite what everyone else has said.  For a while, I was greater than 50% negative snacks to positive snacks.  And it really pissed me off, because that's a standard I'd had set for myself on this fourm.  Made me decide to ignore this forum for a while.  But of course, I couldn't really stay away forever. ;D

Offline cheese (MSW)

• Not a
  • Mole Snacks: +15/-23
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:24:51 PM »
If you think it is acceptable for some troll to hide behind anonymity and dish a –ve “mole snack” and not even give the post the snack applies to then go right ahead and continue to contribute to the forum.  I don’t have to.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
You've had some bad luck, but sometimes, I have tried to engage in a discussion, but if someone insists on spouting pseudoscience, for example, I will take a snack away for each rambling, illogical, unscientific post -- if only to warn the new people on the board of the general content of that person's contributions.  I've seen people with an innocuous post, a bunch of negative snacks, so I read their older posts and ... sure enough that person was stubborn, or rude, or pushy and demanding.  And then I knew, just to ignore their new posting.

I've lost dozens of mole snacks when I given some of my best responses -- this thread here: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=24568.0 caused me to 19 or so, simply because I didn't give away as many answers as these kids wanted.  Or maybe that wasn't it -- maybe, trying to help the people learn for themselves, I was too obtuse, and made the regulars become annoyed.  It all balances out, in the end.

Sponsored Links