March 28, 2024, 06:18:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Net ionic equation Help  (Read 4772 times)

Offline ticmmae

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Net ionic equation Help
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:12:43 AM »
Hi!
Please help me!

It is asking for net ionic equation of dilute nitric acid + solid mercury (I) carbonate reaction.

I have guessed that full equation is Hg2CO3 + 4HNO3 = CO2+h2+H2o+2Hg(NO3)2 and ionic equation is Hg2CO3(s) + 4H+ -> CO2 + H2 + H2O + 2Hg+.

Is this right?

Also, can someone help me find net ionic equation for oxidation of acidic aq solution of propanal to propanoic acid with a solution of potassium dichromate?

Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Net ionic equation Help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:48:20 AM »
Your chemical equation is incorrect, mercury(I) nitrate is formed under these conditions. To make make mercury(II) nitrate you'd need hot, concentrated HNO3.

Given this info, you should be able to do the question - it is simpler that what you have attempted.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Net ionic equation Help
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:11:20 AM »
There are different errors in both posts.
In the first one - H2 cannot exist in the presence of strong oxidizer - then you should expect not H2 but product of reduction of HNO3 - NO or NO2 depending on concentration of HNO3.
Moreover, this concerns both posts, Hg2(NO3)2 itself spontaneously decomposes to Hg and Hg(NO3)2, and Hg can react with diluted HNO3 to form Hg2(NO3)2. Since the decomposition is not extremely fast, in the case of diluted acid you can expect both nitrates (of course then the reaction is difficult to balancing).
Concentrated acid is needed for conversion of Hg2Cl2 or other Hg(I) fluorides to soluble  Hg(II) nitrates.

All mercury salts with acids that contain oxygen are predominantly ionic than you can balance redox by a half reaction method using Hg22+ and NO3-
AWK

Sponsored Links