April 25, 2024, 12:29:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the strength ranking of ion-dipole forces among int.mol.forces?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline bidiboom

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Hi guys,

By the respect of strength, what is the place of ion-dipole forces beside the van der Waals forces? To my knowledge, the ranking of strengths of them is;
hydrogen bonding > London dispersion forces > dipole-dipole forces
.. and ion-dipole forces are mainly the subject of solutions.. but, say for instance, we have a solution and it has ions in a polar solvent.. or forget the example at all.. just what is the ranking of the strength of ion-dipole forces, if we would compare it to van der Waals forces?

I simply dont know and cant see as well..
Thanks a lot..

bestsolutions

Re: What is the strength ranking of ion-dipole forces among int.mol.forces?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
dispersion forces/london forces < dipole-dipole interection< hydrogen bond

dispersion force are the weak forces of attraction , dipole -dipole are stronger intermolecular forces then dispersion forces , hydrogen bond are the strong intermolecular forces then dispersion and dipole-diploe.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:51:06 PM by Borek »

Offline bidiboom

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Re: What is the strength ranking of ion-dipole forces among int.mol.forces?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »
dispersion forces/london forces < dipole-dipole interection< hydrogen bond

dispersion force are the weak forces of attraction , dipole -dipole are stronger intermolecular forces then dispersion forces , hydrogen bond are the strong intermolecular forces then dispersion and dipole-diploe.

When the molecular weights are close, dispersion forces gets even as well and the decisive force becomes dipole-dipole forces..

But when they change in molecular weight substantially, then dispersion forces tell..

So I insist that dispersion is stronger than dipole-dipole..

Sponsored Links