March 28, 2024, 05:13:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Adding HydroChloric Acid to Lead Acid Batteries.  (Read 17438 times)

Offline millo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Adding HydroChloric Acid to Lead Acid Batteries.
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
Hi,

I don't really know in which other forum to speak really. I have tried searching through google but I can't seem to find an answer so I came across this forum and thought their might be someone here who has had experience, or is clever enough to know the answer to the question.

I have some lead acid batteries for my solar installation. They were verified to be working properly when I bought them secondhand but since then they have been refilled with hydrochloric acid. I was present when it was being carried out. It was horrible. The gas that came out of it was so noxious, the leaves on the plants outside the shed where the batteries were being housed shrivelled up severely, turned yellow, and I think most of them died. After this 'process' was completed we hooked up the batteries, and they show 24 volts as they should but then when the system is switched on it just doesn't work, perhaps when load is applied? Anyway, what I'm wondering is what effect could the hydrochloric acid have had on the batteries to have stopped making them work. Anyone know?

If there is anyone out there willing to answer I would be very pleased.

Kind regards,
M

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Adding HydroChloric Acid to Lead Acid Batteries.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »
If they show voltage but don't work, it most likely means their internal resistance skyrocketed.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
Is sulfuric acid supposed to be used in lead acid batteries?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »
Is sulfuric acid supposed to be used in lead acid batteries?

Absolutely.  Lead acid storage batteries charge and discharge by converting spongy elemental lead and lead oxide into lead sulfate using the sulfate ions in the electrolyte.  I don't know what sort of reaction you could get from the HCl, but if it worked, we'd probably do it already.  I don't know for sure, but it seems to me the O.P. is simply screwed.   :'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_storage_battery#Discharge
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links