March 28, 2024, 09:01:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Magnesium Bicarbonate  (Read 9801 times)

Offline larrymagee

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Magnesium Bicarbonate
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »
I'm making and taking magnesium bicarbonate because I've heard it is easier for the body to assimilate it.  The recipe is based on the reaction of magnesium hydroxide (in milk of magnesia) with plain carbonated water according to the formula Mg(OH)2 + 2CO2 —> Mg(HCO3)2.  The website with instructions is http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/how-to-make-magnesium-bicarbonate-water

It is taken diluted in water 11 parts water to 1 part magnesium bicarb solution. 

My questions - The water I'm using is very pure (Reverse Osmosis) to which a little seal salt is added to remineralize it.  Would the sodium chloride change the Mg(HCO3)2 ?  Also, since the Mg(HCO3)2 is made in the refrigerator would warming it to room temperature change the Mg(HCO3)2 ?

Thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Magnesium Bicarbonate
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »
Would the sodium chloride change the Mg(HCO3)2 ? 

No.  Sodium chloride will not undergo an irreversible reaction with magnesium bicarbonate.  I accept no responsibility for the validity of the rest of your missive. ;)
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
Magnesium Bicarbonate
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
I'm making and taking magnesium bicarbonate because I've heard it is easier for the body to assimilate it.

If you swallow the hydroxide or bicarbonate, it will end up reacting with the hydrochloric acid in your stomach and you'll have Mg++ ions in water. So it doesn't make a difference on which one you use.

Sponsored Links