April 25, 2024, 12:43:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: K carb in CDCl3  (Read 3897 times)

Offline nox

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
K carb in CDCl3
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:22:36 PM »
For those of you who use CDCl3 routinely (probably most if not all of you), would you recommend using K2CO3 to neutralize the acidity and dry the solvent as a standard practice?

I find the residual moisture is not too big of a problem if I go through the CDCl3 fast (say 1 bottle/month). Acidity hasn't caused much problem for me thus far but I do notice some of my samples turn dark if left standing for a few hours (no it's definitely not the light, these things decompose like no tomorrow with a touch of acid).

I guess I'm just hesitant on tossing in a big scoop of K carb into my bottle, but if it's worked wonders for you, please do share!

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: K carb in CDCl3
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
I use some activated molecular sieves in my CDCl3. They seem to keep it dry and neutral.
Individual results may vary

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
Re: K carb in CDCl3
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:26:30 AM »
I use K carb and never have a problem, good drying agent and mops up acid nicely.  the only tricky thing is when you get close to the bottom of your cdcl3 bottle, you tend to suck up little particles if they are not all nicely settled at the bottom or if your pipet gets right above it.  not a big deal unless you are retrieving your material from your nmr sample, then a little k carb comes with it.  but unless that is a big deal for you, than I give it a thumbs up :)

Sponsored Links