March 28, 2024, 08:28:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Raney Ni reduction of nitrile  (Read 6701 times)

Offline starfish

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Raney Ni reduction of nitrile
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:19:58 AM »
Hello,

I am new to this forum. Just to say hi to all of you first.
I got trouble with Raney Ni reduction of nitrile into primary amine. I either have no reaction or reduction to give a mixture of products. since it is my first time to deal with Raney Ni, I wonder I have not captured some tricks in doing such reduction.
The procedure I use is: weigh a slurry of activated Raney Ni in water, wash with methanol for three times, add in my substrate, stir vigorouly, equip with a H2 balloon, fill the flask with H2 gas, and that's it.
Can anyone give some suggestions to me? thank you!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Raney Ni reduction of nitrile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:27:34 AM »
Hello,

I am new to this forum. Just to say hi to all of you first.
I got trouble with Raney Ni reduction of nitrile into primary amine. I either have no reaction or reduction to give a mixture of products. since it is my first time to deal with Raney Ni, I wonder I have not captured some tricks in doing such reduction.
The procedure I use is: weigh a slurry of activated Raney Ni in water, wash with methanol for three times, add in my substrate, stir vigorouly, equip with a H2 balloon, fill the flask with H2 gas, and that's it.
Can anyone give some suggestions to me? thank you!

Try using a 10% solution of ammonia in methanol. This inhibits the formation of secondary amines.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »
I did one years ago with Raney nickel in a Parr apparatus at fairly high pressure. I ran it at the blow out rupture disk pressure, ~1000 psi? The reduction was slow. I don't remember if I heated it too.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline starfish

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
great! Thanks for advices!!! I now just set up a reaction using 2M NH3 in MeOH as solvent. Hope it will work.
 :P

Sponsored Links