April 18, 2024, 10:37:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ester: Basic Flevors  (Read 2411 times)

Offline ablaze

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ester: Basic Flevors
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »
Hello folks ! This is my first post in any chemistry discussions ever ; So Hello World !!!

Basically I am looking for a way out to find whether there are some "basic" group of esters so that the combination of them in different proportion can generate almost all flevors; Just like the RGB {Red Green, Blue Color Model} ?   ::)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Ester: Basic Flevors
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
A hundred years ago, scientists theorized exactly what you did, that all smells were made up of composite smells, combined like the spectrum of light. I don't have a reference for you, but it went something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragrance_wheel Sadly, most recent research suggests that mammals actually encode thousands of genes associated with smell receptors:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfaction#History

[EDIT]

The ancient attempt to classify odors went something (but only something) like this:

Since the physiology of olfaction is yet so obscure it is not surprising that we have no thoroughly scientific classification of smells, notwithstanding various ambitious attempts to reach a classification. The classification adopted by Zwaardemaker is founded on the ancient scheme of Linnæus, and may here be reproduced:--

I. Ethereal odors (chiefly esters; Rimmel's fruity series).
II. Aromatic odors (terpenes, camphors, and the spicy, herbaceous, rosaceous, and almond series; the chemical types are well determined: cineol, eugenol, anethol, geraniol, benzaldehyde).
III. The balsamic odors (chiefly aldehydes, Rimmel's jasmin, violet, and balsamic series, with the chemical types: terpineol, ionone, vanillin).
IV. The ambrosiacal odors (ambergris and musk).
V. The alliaceous odors, with the cacodylic group (asafoetida, ichthyol, etc.).
VI. Empyreumatic odors.
VII. Valerianaceous odors (Linnæus's Odores hircini, the capryl group, largely composed of sexual odors).
VIII. Narcotic odors (Linnæus's Odores tetri).
IX. Stenches.

I rescued that block of text from a deleted Wikipedia article, but at least you have the name of the scientist to go by.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links