March 19, 2024, 03:06:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which bond is stronger: ionic or covalent?  (Read 5479 times)

Offline bidiboom

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Which bond is stronger: ionic or covalent?
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »
Guys hi again,

I know that its a very classical dilemma, but here again its coming across my way in SAT chem test. The premise was "Ionic bond is the strongest bond" and I answered "False". The answer of the test came out to be "True"!  ::) but we know that it depends, and the most strong bonds are of covalent networks'.

Now if it happens to be asked in the real test again, what will I do I dont know ??? What is the general inclination in chem tests, do you have an idea?

Thanks again.. before one thread came to an end, I asked one another, sorry, but one point is one point in your total score.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Which bond is stronger: ionic or covalent?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »
For a simple true-false question (not really, but A or B is really just two choices, so the same as true-false) such as this one, you would answer ionic is stronger.  Consider, have you melted or decomposed something with covalent bonds, for example, sugar?  Have you melted an ionic compound, like table salt?  What counter-example of covalent-networks as stronger can you offer?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline bidiboom

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »
For a simple true-false question (not really, but A or B is really just two choices, so the same as true-false) such as this one, you would answer ionic is stronger.  Consider, have you melted or decomposed something with covalent bonds, for example, sugar?  Have you melted an ionic compound, like table salt?  What counter-example of covalent-networks as stronger can you offer?

Right, in general ionic bonds are stronger, but covalent networks are making peak in strenght, like say for instance diamond. So by the regard of generalization I would say ionic, by the regard of ranking in strength, it must be covalent..

But yes, I think I must pick ionic bond as answer, as long as the question doesnt come more specific.. its the general answer.. ok, thank you Arkcon :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
Oh, I was so hoping you would quote diamond as a covalent coordinate compound.  You do realize, at 700 C, diamond burns, right?  Sodium Chloride would just be sintering.  I didn't ask which one you'd use to cut glass. ;D  Its even weaker than graphite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond#Material_properties
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links