March 28, 2024, 03:51:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

What is your opinion of this new Aufbau diagram?

More useful than the original
0 (0%)
Less useful than the original
0 (0%)
Don't see the difference
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Topic: Building a Better Atomic Orbital Diagram (Aufbau Principle)  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Scotian Gold

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Building a Better Atomic Orbital Diagram (Aufbau Principle)
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:41:46 AM »
Hello all,

In my studies I have only come across one model for atomic orbital (Aufbau) diagrams:

Has anyone seen or used a different version? I've developed one that is just as easy to remember, build and use, but at the same time provides more information. I'll be happy to transfer my notes into a step-by-step PPT, once I know that I'm not just repeating someone else's diagram that I am not aware of.

It would also be helpful to confirm that you haven't seen any alternate versions, especially if you have perused lots of high school and university level chemistry textbooks.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Building a Better Atomic Orbital Diagram (Aufbau Principle)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
the one which you have posted is in most of the text books.

Offline JustinCh3m

• Mole Snacks: +12/-8
    • CollegeChemistryNotes
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
FYI - sometimes that diagram goes "upwards" instead of "downwards" as yours does.  But it's essentially exactly the same.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »
I've seen a few ways of presenting the information, but nothing simpler or easier to remember than the one you mention. I couldn't imagine a simpler way of presenting it and would be interested in what you've created.

Offline Scotian Gold

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:11 AM »
Thanks for the feedback - over the next few days I will try to find the time to get my diagrams presentable.

@fledarmus: If you have the images of these other presentations, could you please post or link to them? Not including the upwards/downwards variants of the format I posted.

Offline Scotian Gold

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
Here is my version of the Aufbau diagram. There's a poll question at the top of the thread, please give your opinion.

Some of you may have noticed that the sums calculated in the righthand column are equal to the atomic numbers of each of the Group 18 elements. I found this extra information extremely useful for determining the Group and Period of any element by its atomic number.

Step-by-step instructions can be found on my website's server. It may look complicated at first glance, but it's really not. By memorizing four values - s2, p6, d10 and f14 - the table basically fills itself.

I am quite interested in your opinions because I am not a chemist, I'm a cartographer with an eye for graphic design and presenting information in different, more efficient ways. I'm especially intrigued to know if additional information can be easily derived or calculated from this diagram because in my studies I have never had to take it beyond this.

Ideally I would like to get this published in chemistry textbooks, if the response is positive. Do any of you work or know anyone who works in this area?

Sponsored Links