April 23, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculate change in electromotive force in cell  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Fzang

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Calculate change in electromotive force in cell
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
I have an element, consisting of Zn/Pb electrodes:

(L) Zn l ZnSO4(aq) ll ZnSO4 l PbSO4(s) l Pb(s) (R)

The cell process is

PbSO4(s) + Zn(s) -> Pb(s) + Zn2+(aq) + SO42-(aq)

One of the first problems is to calculate the standard potential. From standard Gibbs energies I get E° = 0.3906 V

Now comes the tricky part:
In the element, at 25 °C and with molality b = 0.0005 mol/kg ZnSO4 in each of the two separated electrolyte solutions at the electrode, is added
b = 0.0005 mol/kg Na2SO4(s) at the left electrode L, and
b = 0.0005 mol/kg ZnCl2(s) at the right electrode R.

Calculate the change in the electromotive force E caused by the addition of above, if electrolyte solutions are treated as ideal solutions.

I have to calculate the new equilibrium constant with the solutes in mind, and then convert it into an electromotive force, and finally find the difference between the new E and E°. I'm a bit unsure about getting the equilibrium constant, though.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Calculate change in electromotive force in cell
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
I would start with Nernst equation, no need for ΔG nor equilibrium constants.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Fzang

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
So,

E = E° - RT/zF lnQ

where Q would be b(Zn2+)b(SO42-), since the rest are solids.

But what numbers do I plug in? This "add to left/right cell" is confusing me a bit. Do I simply look at the numbers and realize that I have 0.005 mol/kg of both ions, and add another 0.005 mol/kg of both ions, totalling 0.010 mol/kg = b(Zn2+) = b(SO42-)?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
Start determining half reactions and write Nernst equation for each. Initially you can even ignore PbSO4 presence, it can be incorporated later.

Please note - element doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does, recheck with dictionary.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Fzang

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »
My assignment does have 'element' written all over it, though.

anyway, the half cell reactions are,
Zn2+ + 2 e- -> Zn(s) , reduction of Zn
PbSO4 + 2 e- -> Pb(s) + SO42- , reduction of Pb

And I'd use the Nernst equation for half cells, to find reduction potential:
(assuming the activity coefficient is 1)
But now I'm back at the molality issue as I wrote before. Do I have 0.010 mol/kg in place of Zn2+?

Zn/Zn2+ = 1/?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:23:44 PM by Fzang »

Offline geterdun

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »
"assuming the activity coefficient is 1." 

Go back to your definition of Q and the connection with molality :rarrow: Debye-Hückel that bad boy.

Offline Fzang

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 03:31:19 AM »
Afraid I'm not sure I follow.

Offline geterdun

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »
For clarification, you are not solving for an equilibrium constant, Keq. You are solving for your reaction quotient, Q. If you were at equilibrium, Ecell would be zero and E˚would suffice.

You have your Nernst. You have your E˚. You have your molalities and your rxn cell. Now how do you get Q? Well, the definition of Q is , where your vj is your species-specific stoichiometric coefficient. Once you have your Q, then break down each component and analyze.

The D-H limiting law: Any one of these forms is usable, but the last is most practical, where A = 1.172 mol-1/2kg1/2 or A = 0.509 mol-1/2kg1/2 if you are using log.

Definition of ionic strength: . I is a unitless entity because bi is really bi/bstandard. This is important because it defines your b, rather than assuming the conditions.

If you don't recognize these equations, then you need to read your text. I know Atkins has numerous chapter problems almost identical to your problem here and I have no doubt McQuarrie (the big red beast) treats this quite thoroughly. Assuming you have an English text. Don't know of any Norwegian pchem/achem texts. Like I said before, go back to your definition of Q and how it connects with molality.

Now if you have been told to assume that activity coeffs for all species = 1.0, then meh. That would be quite simple to figure out by using your definition of Q.

Sponsored Links