April 27, 2024, 11:30:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: trimethylammonium decanoate  (Read 7445 times)

Offline mosquito

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
trimethylammonium decanoate
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:45:14 AM »
Can anyone tell me the chemical formula of this compound and the reactants I need to produce it.  It is a chemical used to stimulate a response in canines and is a constituent of urine.

Thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: trimethylammonium decanoate
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:11:28 AM »
This would be difficult for a novice to make, it is a fairly large organic molecule (which is likely, given it has a biological effect) and would be prone to side reactions.  If this is a legal, safe chemical, you can probably get it cheaper, purer, and faster from Sigma-Aldrich or other chemical vendor.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline mosquito

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
Thanks Arkcon I will give them a try

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
Actually it's not so bad. Decanoic acid is a straight chain carboxylic acid containing 10 carbons, also called capric acid because it smells like sweaty goats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decanoic_acid

Trimethylamine is three methyl groups attached to a nitrogen atom. It is a mild base that smells like rotting fish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylamine

Since decanoic acid is a weak acid and trimethylamine is a weak base, if you mix the two together in water, you wil get trimethylammonium decanoate. I would expect this compound to smell terrible, and in fact the major use I found from a quick google search is its use as a coyote attractant.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
I would expect this compound to smell terrible, and in fact the major use I found from a quick google search is its use as a coyote attractant.

Hey, don't blame the kaiotes, no mammal gets to choose which pheromones are going to work on it.  You can buy good quality trimethylamine from many vendors, but many amines are controlled for sale.  But good, pure, capric acid may even be more pricy than the product from an animal control supplies vendor.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline mosquito

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »
thanks fledarmus and not coyotes but dingoes.  And Arkcon, many vendors for trimethylamine, do you know of any in Australia.

Offline mosquito

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:38:21 AM »
further to this subject I now read that aldehyde volatiles are as effect as above.  Can these be produced? They tested eight, the best response was by nonanal.

Any ideas

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
The aldehydes are fairly easy to obtain from either the carboxylic acid by partial reduction, or from the alcohol by partial oxidation. Unfortunately, since they are in the midpoint of the oxidative process, they aren't particularly stable - they can be air oxidized to form the acids, they can undergo Cannizzaro reactions to give an alcohol and a carboxylic acid, or if they have alpha hydrogens (which nonanal does) they can undergo aldol condensations to give longer chain products. You can keep them in a jar, but they will slowly degrade.

Both the aldehydes and the carboxylic acids are readily available from a wide variety of commercial suppliers, but the acid is far cheaper than the aldehyde.

Offline mosquito

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Thanks Fledarmus I will go with the acid

Sponsored Links