April 25, 2024, 08:03:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hello Chemists  (Read 8785 times)

Offline K'

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
  • ;)
Hello Chemists
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:20:24 AM »
I am taking Chem 111G this semester. Honestly, for some reasons I feel a little intimidated, A: I am taking the class online (I never took any online classes before). B: some students at the community college I am attending told me some scary stuff about Chemistry in general. C: Which is really important, I heard the math problem are difficult. I am not a math guru, I hardly know basic algebra and also I am taking math 120 this semester as well.

Any study strategies, suggestions, and/or help will be appreciated.
pH=Hq

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Hello Chemists
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »
What is Chem 111G?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline K'

• ;)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
What is Chem 111G?
It is General Chemistry class.

I found some answers at this website "web.nmsu.edu/~snsm/classes/chem111/" I think the information provided in that website is a little outdated. It was posted in 2002.

Please confirm it that is the case. If so I will then go ahead an drop that class for later and do something else instead.

Thanks guys  :)
pH=Hq

Offline Jeremy

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
You should probably learn some calculus.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »
I was not good at math, and I found chemistry and physics hard in college.  See, you can consider chemistry and physics to be "applied" mathematics.  Truly, some of the most advanced math was created just so physics and chemistry could be done easier.

I don't want to discourage you however, you can take the math you need and basic chemistry concurrently, or take basic Chemistry first.  Just that you may find it harder, than if you take the math courses you need first.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »
You're fine.

Unless it is honors general chemistry, gen chem is usually not calculus based and problems rely on algebra.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
I agree with Joriss. Your algebra skills will be used repetitively and will certainly improve with the practice, but there is almost no geometry, trig, or calculus involved in general chemistry. There once was, but once the formulas were derived, there weren't so many that you can't just memorize the few formulas you need, and plug-and-chug for the answers.

Offline Chimie

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

Any study strategies, suggestions, and/or help will be appreciated.

You have get two choices

A: Step up and fight.
pros: Deal with it once, you work hard then it won't be easy to give up, Achieve a grad.
cons: A huge disappointment, inner conflict to find the right way and you end up to change your major to literature.

B: Drop it till figure it out or serenaded.
Cons: Take long time to go through experience, Destructive way to asset your capability. 
pros: You don't have to think about it as if not even existed , maintain high GPA, there is a 0.01% chance that chemistry department change the curriculum.

And both of them come in a Good/Bad whole pack but you're on your own to decide who you are.

All the best,
chimie
a recent chemistry graduate

Offline spankythehippo

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
The only maths you might have to know is log rules, how to use logs, and maybe a bit of calculus.

Offline Polytriazole

• Mole Snacks: +8/-1
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
If you find yourself struggling, studying with a fellow student who seems to understand the subject matter can really help.  You might also consider occasionally hiring a chemistry tutor (you can find these online or at any local colleges very easily) for an hour or two.  A tutor will need to be paid, but for general chemistry you don't need a PhD level tutor, just an undergrad who will charge less.

See if your professor has office hours, or does review sessions before tests.

The one thing that helped me the most with gen chem was doing every problem in my textbook.  Every night, take twenty minutes or so and just do problems from the chapter you're studying.  If you don't get it right away, don't get freaked out.  Just go back through the chapter and see if you can find a starting point, then go from there.

Lastly, get comfy with dimensional analysis.  Look at what answer they're asking for, and then what data you're given in the problem.  What units are they in?  Can I do unit conversions or stoichiometry (essentially counting molecules in reactions) that would get me from point A to point B? 

And of course, come back to Chemical Forums if you need some help, we'd love to point you in the right direction.

Offline K'

• ;)
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
Thanks guys a lot. Great info  :)
pH=Hq

Sponsored Links