April 26, 2024, 03:46:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Exothermic ligations  (Read 2975 times)

Offline calim3ntry

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Exothermic ligations
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for exothermic reactions that can take place on molecular levels. I don't need anything big, like an Al-Fe explosion. I'd like to have two functional groups on the ends of compounds that bond and generate a good amount of heat. This will be used like a ligation, forming chains.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Exothermic ligations
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
the polymerization of ethyl cyanoacrylate forms chains and generates a fair amount of heat - just try getting a drop of Super Glue between your fingers. If you have some baking soda in the mix, it can get quite hot. Although there are cyanoacrylates used for closing wounds on skin, they are usually longer chain (mostly butyl), to avoid causing burns and to make a more pliable bond.

Offline calim3ntry

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
Thanks, but I don't want something that self polymerizes or would be effected by moisture. I'm looking for two different compounds on the ends of molecular probes that will release heat on binding. Their binding is in turn what extends my probe. Essentially, they're just linkers between different chains.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
Alkynes and azides? Shouldn't polymerize without a catalyst, insensitive to hydrolysis, and releases heat upon triazole formation.
Individual results may vary

Sponsored Links