March 28, 2024, 05:56:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anyone heard back from schools yet? [2012 edition]  (Read 31320 times)

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Anyone heard back from schools yet? [2012 edition]
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
So where did everyone apply and where did you guys get accepted?

I applied to Cornell, Rice, UIUC, MIT, caltech, northwestern, U. of Chicago, Columbia, U. of Washington (I applied to a lot because I didn't feel my application was quite as strong as the schools I was applying to).

But 3/3 so far, accepted to Cornell, Rice and UIUC.

Lets hear it!

**I completely ripped this thread off from Berettagtz

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
Re: Anyone heard back from schools yet? [2012 edition]
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:58:11 PM »
Congratulations!!! :)
Job well done, where will you go if they all accept you?  :D

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
Fantastic! All good schools! What program?

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
Fantastic! All good schools! What program?
I picked schools with strong theoretical chemistry and chemical physics programs.

Congratulations!!! :)
Job well done, where will you go if they all accept you?  :D
Either U. of Chicago, Northwestern or Columbia. Good schools and I'd love to live in New York or Chicago.

Offline scpinion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
I applied to Harvard, MIT, UNC Chapel-Hill, Northwestern, Colorado Boulder, Washington and Notre Dame for p-chem or chemical physics. I've got accepted @ Notre Dame, UNC (w/ a dept. fellowship) and Washington thus far.

-scpinion

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
I applied to Harvard, MIT, UNC Chapel-Hill, Northwestern, Colorado Boulder, Washington and Notre Dame for p-chem or chemical physics. I've got accepted @ Notre Dame, UNC (w/ a dept. fellowship) and Washington thus far.

-scpinion
Awesome, are you visiting Washington the weekend of the 9th?

I was accepted to Washington, Caltech and U. of Chicago since my last post.

Offline scpinion

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
I'm planning on it as long as visitation weekends for the better schools aren't the same weekend. You?

Offline scpinion

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
Jorriss, I'm curious what your credentials looked like (research experience, gpa, Ugrad institution, gre, etc.)? I understand if you don't want to share as well. You mentioned you were worried about how strong your application was but you have obviously gotten into some of the top schools in the nation. I felt the same way about mine but got into chapel-hill w/ a fellowship (although its not Cal Tech), so I was curious what someone else's application looked like who got into top ten schools.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:34:33 AM »
Jorriss, I'm curious what your credentials looked like (research experience, gpa, Ugrad institution, gre, etc.)? I understand if you don't want to share as well. You mentioned you were worried about how strong your application was but you have obviously gotten into some of the top schools in the nation. I felt the same way about mine but got into chapel-hill w/ a fellowship (although its not Cal Tech), so I was curious what someone else's application looked like who got into top ten schools.
I've been at UCSD for a year, before that I was at community college. Overall GPA was 3.7 on my application, 82% chemistry gre, 1 summer research experience (Which frankly, wasn't impressive. The project was theory based using some hardcore quantum mechanics. Some of it was bordering on quantum field theory and I hadn't even taken one quarter of quantum yet. The professor wrote me a LoR but it couldn't have been great). My research experience was a big black mark on my app.

I felt my personal statement was pretty good and I know at least two of my letters were very, very strong.

I know I had strong coursework though. I applied to do theory and I'd taken graduate mathematical methods (physics department) and statistical mechanics, UD classical mechanics, and a bunch of math classes - among the standard chemistry courses in physical chemistry

What were your credentials?

I'm planning on it as long as visitation weekends for the better schools aren't the same weekend. You?
Same, except for Washington. My brother goes there so I'll be at that weekend for sure.

Offline scpinion

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:56:32 AM »
I'm a chemistry and physics double degree student (chem gpa=3.86 and phys gpa=3.91) at the University of South Carolina (overall gpa 3.87). I have a summer of physics research exp., which, like yours, wasn't really worth anything. I also have 1.5 years of chem research experience.

I have one VERY strong letter from my chem research advisor and another strong (although not as strong) letter from the physics research advisor. My other letter came from a professor who's class I did well in (probably worthless for the admissions committee).

My chem gre was 75% and I was >90% for both quant and verbal general gre. I'm fairly confident in my personal statement and I founded the ACS student chapter @ USC, so that is working in my favor.

The BIG thing against me is I have worked in a lab for 1.5 years and didn't publish anything prior to submitting applications. I spent the first half of my time in the lab setting it up and building the instruments required to actually perform the research (I joined a brand new lab and it was EMPTY when I started).  I explained this in my personal statement so hopefully it doesn't hurt me too bad. 

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:05 AM »
Your application is really strong.

Your lab experience is, as near as I can tell, great. It's a valuable trait to have experience in setting up a lab and learning how to use lab equipment. I actually think that will be viewed as a plus in addition to the direct research experience you gained (and in addition to showing your commitment) .

What type of chemistry do you want to go into? Theory? Experimental?

Offline scpinion

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »
Thanks, I hope the admissions committees agree with you.

I want to join an experimental group working on nanotechnology (semiconductor nanowires, quantum dots, etc.).

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
Still no word for me.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline scpinion

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:58:36 PM »
I was accepted at MIT today.

Still no word for me.

What schools did you apply to?

Offline OrgoTutor

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
  • Freelance Organic Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:19 AM »
Congrats Jorriss and scipinion on your acceptances. Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

I got accepted to U of Kansas, U of Georgia at Athens, and Colorado State U---the only three schools I applied to. So I'm happy. I'm going for a PhD in Organic (total synth, and synth methods).

Sponsored Links