March 29, 2024, 12:55:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is this broken the octet rule? ( shell, sub shell, and octet rule? )  (Read 2299 times)

Offline junior

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
About the octet rule, atom tend to gain or lose electrons to have 8 electrons in the valence shell. However, in the periodic table, some elements have the big atomic number ( eq: Ge, Pb....etc ) They have a lot of shells in their atom. So, with the octet rule, as I understand, we can write ( Ge: 32 = 2)8)8)8)6 ).

But, in the electron configuration, we write ( Ge : first shell: 2e, second shell 8e ( 2s^2 2p^6), third shell 18e ( 3s^2 3p^6 3d^10 ) and so on. It means that with the third shell also have 18e. Is this broke the octet rule?

I tried to look up the answer but it still mystery to me. Thank you for your help.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Re: Is this broken the octet rule? ( shell, sub shell, and octet rule? )
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:59:28 AM »
The octet rule is mainly just for organic chemists who work with carbon and other two row metals.

The octet rule is a qualitative rule with more exceptions than elements which obey it.

And one does not even need to go as far as transition metals to see exceptions. You may notice Hydrogen and Helium both only desire two valence electrons. The octet rule firmly applies to elements in row two, that's it.

Sponsored Links