April 25, 2024, 06:39:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to tell ammonia from amine group  (Read 5515 times)

Offline nlieb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to tell ammonia from amine group
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:08:42 AM »
So I'm doing this total synth and one step involves a nucleophilic substitution of a chlorine for an amine group with ammonia as the nucleophile. I want to be able to test to make sure this step of the reaction is successfull. Are there any tests for amine groups which will not turn up a false positive in the presence of ammonia?

Offline nlieb

Re: How to tell ammonia from amine group
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
So I'm doing this total synth and one step involves a nucleophilic substitution of a chlorine for an amine group with ammonia as the nucleophile. I want to be able to test to make sure this step of the reaction is successfull. Are there any tests for amine groups which will not turn up a false positive in the presence of ammonia?

Also, since it makes a difference, the amine group would be in a primary position. I know how to distinguish ammonia from secondary amines.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Are you using a particularly volatile substrate? Usually you just evaporate the ammonia away.

Offline nlieb

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
No, but that doesn't help me, because the excess ammonia will evaporate off whether or not a reaction has taken place. I want to make sure that a reaction has taken place before moving on to the next step in my synth, to avoid wasting materials.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:16:20 AM »
Can't you just monitor the reaction by the usual chromatographic methods? For example, you should get a sizeable shift in Rf on silica TLC sheets if you have replaced Cl with NH2.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »

Use TLC. Blow the plate dry before running it in the solvent, blow it dry again and spray with ninhydrin and heat.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline nlieb

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »

Use TLC. Blow the plate dry before running it in the solvent, blow it dry again and spray with ninhydrin and heat.

\

Ninhydrin doesn't distinguish primary amines and ammonia, only secondary amines from primary amines/ammonia.

Offline nlieb

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
Never mind, I see what you mean.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »
No, but that doesn't help me, because the excess ammonia will evaporate off whether or not a reaction has taken place. I want to make sure that a reaction has taken place before moving on to the next step in my synth, to avoid wasting materials.

Exactly - so if you get an amine response after evaporating the ammonia, you will know that it is a primary amine and not ammonia.

Oh - looks like you figured it out! sorry...

Offline mpv

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
I don't understand exactly what you want. But if you want to find out if the reaction had taken place you can try adding some HNO2 and see if there is a release of N2 ( only if you have a primary amine). You can also try the Hinsberg. Just add ArSO2Cl and if its a primary amine it should be soluble in base, if it's a secondary it shouldn't dissolve in base, and if its tertiary the reaction won't take place. Zerevitinov should work only if you don't have any other group that will react with a Grignard(add MeMgCl and CH4 should be released. This way you can recover the wasted material just by adding water). Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:51:27 AM by mpv »

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
14N NMR.  Somewhere -350 or so is NH4+  , ammonia is -300 I think, and amines are between -100 and -300.

Do do 14N of compound and precursor.

If you see a peak in the desired range, dope the tube with a mix of NH4X and NH3(aq)   to make sure the observed peak is not ammonia or ammonium.

Or mass spec.

Sponsored Links