April 18, 2024, 11:33:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help with solutions and pH  (Read 6097 times)

Offline jammon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
Need help with solutions and pH
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with 3 questions:
1) Without pH papers, how do you calculate the pH of a 5% H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) solution?
I know vinegar is a weak acid, but would a 5% acetic acid have the same pH of a %5 H2So4 solution?

2) If a non-polar solvent such as Hexane is miscible with Ethanol, does that mean that they mix completely? If so, would the water traces from the alcohol stay at the bottom below the Hexane layer?

3) H202 (Hydrogen peroxide) is an oxidizing agent just like Permanganate. I need to replace the later, is it possible to dilute or concentrate Peroxide in order to make it work like Permanganate?
Besides one begin stronger than the other, what other differences are there between these oxidizing agents?  ???

Thanks  :P

Offline jammon

Re: Need help with solutions and pH
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
come on this is simple chemistry, and not homework, just something I've always wondered :'(

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=toc

1) Without pH papers, how do you calculate the pH of a 5% H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) solution?

Convert to molarity first, then follow information from the multiprotic acid pH lecture. But I am afraid it will be way over your head, as the question you asked suggests you know next to nothing about acids and pH.

I know vinegar is a weak acid, but would a 5% acetic acid have the same pH of a %5 H2So4 solution?

First, pH is based on molarity, so 5% solutions of acetic acid and sulfuric acid are completely different.

Second, pH depends on whether the acid is strong or weak, so acetic acid solution and sulfuric acid solution are completely different.

Third, pH depends on number of protons that can dissociate, so acetic acid solution and sulfuric acid solution are completely different.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jammon

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »
Of couse I know next to nothing, thats why I'm asking, and you didn't give me the answer anyways. If I knew as much as u seem to know, I'd have an estimation.. %5 should 3 - 5 pH. Right?
What about question 2?
Mr. pH, Administrator, Deity Member, whatever. You didnt help me at all. Thanks anyways
doutchebag
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:56:03 PM by jammon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
I can't give you a simple answer for number 2, I'm not sure.  A trace of water my drop out, or may forma a stable emulsion, like grease in water with detergent.

I don't want to give you the answer to number 3.  It seems a dangerous thing to do if you're not sure of what you're doing.  And since you're obsessed with knowing "just enough" and no more than that -- you likely don't know what you're doing.

With some work on your part, you can use the webpage posted to help you understand the underlying concepts for number 1.  Then, you'll be able to figure out 3%, 7% whatever concentration of whatever acid you encounter.  That saves us the trouble of explaining each situation to you each time -- yes, even if you're not doing schoolwork, we don't want to teach you a months worth of chemistry, one posting at a time.

Pleasure to work with you, $@#&%$&$#
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jammon

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:19:13 AM »
'a months worth of chemistry'? oh for f&#$'s sake
whatever...
I know what I'm doing, all I need is pH papers, and some real chemist to tell me that 5% H2SO4 has X pH. I dont understand those crazy formulas. There must be some table somewhere with the pH at different concentrations
but whatever, thanks any f&#^$*@ ways

Sponsored Links