March 19, 2024, 01:22:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Molecular Weight  (Read 2601 times)

Offline futurebrewer

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Molecular Weight
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:16:18 AM »
I have a question to answer for my lab and I'm not sure where how to go about it. Would appreciate any help.

A volatile liquid sample is placed in an Ehrlenmeyer flask that has been sealed except for a tiny hole that allows vapor to escape.  Upon heating, the liquid is converted to vapor that fills the flask.  Cooling the flask allows the vapor to condense back to liquid.  The mass of the condensed liquid is found to be 0.535g. The actual volume of the flask is 137.5 mL.  The temp of the flask contents is 29.2 C and the atmospheric pressure reading is 29.32 inches of mercury  From this data determine the molecular weight of the volatile liquid.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Molecular Weight
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:18 AM »
Think in terms of the ideal gas equation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »
This is always a tough lab for students, it depends as much on performing the procedure right as on performing the calculation right.  And those are both so daunting, they affect your performance of the other. ;D Borek: has already pointed you to the ideal gas law, so start by writing the formula.  The flask, no matter how much liquid there was, had nothing but vapor in it once it was entirely evaporated.  How much vapor?  You have two answers for that question.  Pull it all together with the other data in the formula.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline futurebrewer

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:07:41 AM »
I figured it out! Thanks!

Sponsored Links