April 19, 2024, 02:28:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How about a problem of the week why not?  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
How about a problem of the week why not?
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »
The following three step one pot transformation has been reported in fair to good yields. Propose a mechanism to account for the observed product. For the purposes of the mechanism, assume that no reagent greatly exceeds 1 equivalent.

Individual results may vary

Offline Rory

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How about a problem of the week why not?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:34:38 AM »
Let me have a try.
Nucleophilic addtion of tBuLi to the isocyano group followed by insertion of the CO gave the acetyllithium which tautomized to a carbene. Then 6 pi electrocyclization to form a more stable lithium enolate and subsequent [1,5]-sigmatropic alkyl migration to achieve rearomatization, delievered the 3-H indole derivative which was methylated to furnish the target molecule.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:57:52 AM »
The reaction of carbanions with CO is known to form acyl lithiums, but in this case it does not tautomerize to a carbene.

Offline Rory

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »
The reaction of carbanions with CO is known to form acyl lithiums, but in this case it does not tautomerize to a carbene.
When I said the acyl lithium tautomerized to the carbene, I meant the acyl anion resonated to the carbene. Taking the Lithium into account, I must call them tautomers. An alternative pathway is intramolecular Michael addition that would lead to the same enolate, though I prefer the electrocyclization pathway.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »
I do like the electrocyclization, but the reference I'm consulting claims a pathway with a further intermediate.

Offline Rory

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
I do like the electrocyclization, but the reference I'm consulting claims a pathway with a further intermediate.

Well, actually there were at least 3 possible pathways for this transformation and I posted the one I like most at first. Maybe the answer you want is the one including a ketene intermediate.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
That would be the published mechanism.

Orita, Akihiro; Fukudome, Masato; Ohe, Kouichi; Murai, Shinji
Journal of Organic Chemistry,   1994 ,  vol. 59,  # 2   p. 477 - 481

This one came up on our mechanism board a while ago and four different people each got four different pathways, each of them arguing passionately for their own. I figgured this might be a fun one to send to the internet then.

Personally I like the electrocyclization pathway best too, but i figured it would be best to ask for an answer here where I can give a solid reference.

Well done Rory!

Sponsored Links