April 24, 2024, 01:54:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: enzyme inhibitor  (Read 3878 times)

Offline bwana

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
enzyme inhibitor
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
a beta dicarbonyl is used as a serine protease inhibitor where one of the carbonyls is an amide.  the alpha position between tthe two carbonyls are two fluorines rather than two hydrogens. i am struggling with how this molecule would interfere with the serine protease. it's an exercise in electron pushing that my brain has just given up on. can anyone give a little insight or point me to the right place where i can find some? tnx.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: enzyme inhibitor
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
a beta dicarbonyl is used as a serine protease inhibitor where one of the carbonyls is an amide.  the alpha position between tthe two carbonyls are two fluorines rather than two hydrogens. i am struggling with how this molecule would interfere with the serine protease. it's an exercise in electron pushing that my brain has just given up on. can anyone give a little insight or point me to the right place where i can find some? tnx.

Consider tautomeric forms?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: enzyme inhibitor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
Trifluormethylketones are strong serine protease inhibitors; the serine adds into the electrophilic carbonyl group and the result is something that mimics the first tetrahedral intermediate, with a negative charge on the oxygen atom.  Look for papers by Robert H. Abeles or Perry Frey in Biochemistry.  This is a little different from what you are describing, but a ketone that has two alpha fluorine atoms should still be fairly electrophilic, I suppose.

Sponsored Links