April 25, 2024, 08:26:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chemical bonds  (Read 6388 times)

chemicalLindsay

chemical bonds
« on: June 05, 2004, 02:38:44 AM »
Are there any other types of chemical bonds apart from ionic,covalent,polar,cooardinate,metallic and hydrogen bonds.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:chemical bonds
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:03:17 AM »
intermolecular bonds, ion-molecular bonds, bridge bonds
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 03:13:09 AM »
great cause the more I understand chemical bonds the more I understand chemical reactions and the more I understand chemistry.Know isn't hydrogen bonding a form of intermolecular forces and can you give me some more information on any other types?Now I basically have no idea on what ion molecular bonds(could they be the ionic bonds in the salt lattice) and brige bonds so can you tell us some more about them?
Thanks

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 05:21:52 AM »
ion-molecular bond is just refering to one of those inter-particle bonds. I'm just catergorising bonds by what they bind to.

Bridge bond is a multi-centered bonding. A normal covlant bond involves 2 nulcei. a bridge bond involes at least 3 nulcei. Bridge bonding is common in the borane family. I had included a picture of it below. I'm not well-versed in bridge bonding. It's relatively a new idea/concept to me still.

Apparently, there is a new type of chemical bond call the "Catch Bond", discovered by scientists from Georgia Institute of Technology. I think you better do a Google on it, because I'm not too sure about it myself.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 02:39:30 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:43:25 PM »
There is also organometallic bonds.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Dante

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 09:00:07 PM »
I don't really know much about advance bonding but i really need help understanding about Ionic bond.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 09:06:40 PM »
ionic bonding deals with solid ionic compounds. solid ionic compounds are said to consist of oppositely charged ions all arranged in a particular crystal lattice strucutre. ionic bonding refers to the electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions within the structure. It is this attraction that holds the lattice structure together.

Dante

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 08:15:46 PM »
Thanks, that's help

Sponsored Links