March 28, 2024, 05:53:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Primary amine to alcohol  (Read 5360 times)

Offline tommy1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Primary amine to alcohol
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »
I am having trouble coming up with conditions to give me the best yield of the product I want.
I have cyclohexamine with two ester groups in the para position and CONH2 ortho and I want to convert the amine group to the hydroxyl.

Literature has been using bases at high temperatures, but i think this will just break my esters apart. Others use NaNO3 with weak acid, but they were aiming for a product where both esters were cleaved, and I want them to remain...
 I was thinking of a Schiemann type reaction, but not sure if the esters will be affected by the halogen.
Any suggestions for conditions or methods would be greatly appreciated! :)

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Primary amine to alcohol
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:36:23 AM »
I am having trouble coming up with conditions to give me the best yield of the product I want.
I have cyclohexamine with two ester groups in the para position and CONH2 ortho and I want to convert the amine group to the hydroxyl.

Literature has been using bases at high temperatures, but i think this will just break my esters apart. Others use NaNO3 with weak acid, but they were aiming for a product where both esters were cleaved, and I want them to remain...
 I was thinking of a Schiemann type reaction, but not sure if the esters will be affected by the halogen.
Any suggestions for conditions or methods would be greatly appreciated! :)

Have a look at Tet. Letts. 1995, 36(14), 2377. "A mild oxidation of aromatic amines". They use oxone.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links