April 20, 2024, 06:47:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Homework *delete me*  (Read 2479 times)

Offline happycamper723

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Homework *delete me*
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »
C8H17N is a stimulant and alkaloid occasionally used in pharmacology. It is soluble in ether. Could it also be soluble in ethanol? Why?

I don't just want to get an answer, I want to understand it.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Chemistry Homework *delete me*
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »
C8H17N is a stimulant and alkaloid occasionally used in pharmacology. It is soluble in ether. Could it also be soluble in ethanol? Why?

I don't just want to get an answer, I want to understand it.

C8H17N could be any number of compounds, there are 502 listed at chemspider.com. Couple that with the fact that most things are soluble to some extent or a other in most solvents, a simple yes is all I can really offer you in answer to your question.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Chemistry Homework *delete me*
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
Hmmm ... tricky.  They've given you the barest bit of information, and ask a lot from you for it.  OK.  Assume they mean "true alkaloid", as defined here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaloid#Classification  So the nitrogen is in a heterocycle aromatic ring.  Draw that out, and I dunno, make up some random functional groups from what's left over?  (Boy, this plan of mine went off the rails rapidly.)  Maybe, when you're done, the molecule is so non-polar it can't dissolve in ethanol?  That would seem to be the only thing you could prove.  There's nothing left, for hydrogen bonding, as an example.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:55:06 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links