April 26, 2024, 03:19:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Screening from a tank  (Read 2579 times)

Offline jtf

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Screening from a tank
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
When mixing amino acids in water I notice that I get some black specs at the bottom of the tank.  They look like they could be charcoal from the filter or cellulose from the box or maybe even atmospheric particulate.  How would I pump out the solution without pumping out the particulate?  Someone told me that I am supposed to screen the material.  I am not sure how that is done for the bottom of the tank.  I am trying to learn how to make beverages.  I have toured a factory and seen a 300 gallon tank.  It was not a coned bottom and had an output spout near the bottom.  I am not sure how they could screen the tank contents unless the screens are fitted in the spout? 

Can someone help?  I have tried searching Google but I must be using the wrong the search terms.  I found only one website that looks like it sells screens and mesh that looks suitable but I have no idea how to use it (TWPInc dot com).  Complicating matters, a chemist told me that the screens cost $3,000.  He wouldn't give any more info. 

Thanks for any insight.  I have already tried running the solution through filters, but that negatively affects drink performance.

Thanks,

J

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Screening from a tank
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »
If there's an output spout at the bottom, and the particulates settle, you may be able to remove them by allowing some solution to drain, and discard it.  Like you said, that would work better if the tank had a conical bottom.  Failing that, you may have to invest in a screening system, or demand better quality control from your raw materials providers.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jtf

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Screening from a tank
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
Arkon,

Thanks.  Any idea where I can get a screening system?  Or even read about them?

J

Sponsored Links