April 18, 2024, 07:18:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Best, up-to-date chemist handbook/lab techniques manual?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
Best, up-to-date chemist handbook/lab techniques manual?
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
My apologies, I wasn't sure where to stick this question.

I'd like others opinions on what books out there constitute the best of the best for ready reference handbooks in the laboratory?

The Chemist's/Chemical Technicians Ready Reference Handbooks are both excellent books, but the Chemists hasn't been updated in around 20 years from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) and the Chemical Technicians recent update I can find is an e-book.

I'm looking for something akin to these above, practical applications, troubleshooting, tips, safety advice. I work in an analytical laboratory - so something practical in that aspect would be nice.

Should I pick up the most recent/new copy of the Chemists Ready Reference Handbook despite the age or is there a newer alternative?

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: Best, up-to-date chemist handbook/lab techniques manual?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:29 AM »
If you are trying to troubleshoot an instrument, go to the instrument manufacturers.   Many instrument manufacturers have good manuals or good internet pages that help with troubleshooting.  Many have live technical assistance people that you can call to answer questions. The live technical assistance people were often my first step.

If you are after more general information, it is best to get manuals/references related to your companies field.  Even then, it won't cover everything.

For example, in the pharmaceutical industriy, this might be the USP/NF. It lists a number of basic titration methods, etc.  Another good source is the Association of Analytical Chemist (AOAC) manuals.  Again, the problem is these manuals may not apply to your work.  If you are doing environmental work, "Standard Methods for the analysis of water and wastewater" is a good starting point.

Regulatory documents can also be good.  For example, many of the ASTM/ ISO documents will help.  A word of warning...these books can get quite expensive.

Others will have suggestions.  This is an ongoing battle that I haven't been able to entirely solve.  Hopefully, you will have better luck.

Offline Jasim

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
Thank you. You've given me some good resources I didn't even know about. However, I'm really looking for something more general. It doesn't have to be specifically analytical.

AOAC has some interesting things, I wasn't even aware of this organization. I do see what you mean about the expense and given the narrow focus of many of these texts, I'm not sure they would be all that valuable to me at the present time.

Further recommendations, perhaps with a more general focus, will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jasim

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »
I am still looking for general, practical texts for the laboratory. Thus far I have come up with the following potentials:

1. Chemist's/Chemical Technicians Ready Reference Handbooks
2. Zubrick's Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual (designed for lab students, but excellent resource nonetheless for procedures and tips)
3. Purification of Laboratory Chemicals (not just for purifying reagents, but as a resource for general purification, isolation, and information on potential sources of contamination).

Still looking for more! Please add. Thanks!

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
There is agood basic Laboratory skills training handbook (150 pages)  here you have to register to access the download the file http://www.nmschembio.org.uk/PublicationArticle.aspx?m=115&amid=643
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links