April 23, 2024, 07:51:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Center of inversions and the rule of mutual exclusion ( for spectroscopy)  (Read 6608 times)

Offline Twickel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello,

I am having trouble identifying molecules which will have a center of inversion and which ones will not. Water ( H2O) has all its vibrations appear in IR spectroscopy, I am not sure if this molecule has a center of inversion or not.  

One of my lecturers said, if it has a axis of symmetry ( so cut it in half with a line vertical down the middle of the molecule. and the two halves should be the same but opposite) then it has a center of inversion, so then I assume that water has no Raman signals but I do not think that is the case.

now using the definition, An inversion occurs through a centre of symmetry, denoted i. (This operation involves taking each point in the object in a straight line to the inversion centre and then moving it an equal distance out the other side. i.e. if we consider the inversion centre to lie at (0,0,0) , then this operation turns a general point (x,y,z) into (-x,-y,-z). Spheres and cubes both have centres of inversion, as does a benzene molecule (a regular hexagon). Molecules such as water, ammonia and methane do not.

I do not see why water and ammonia do not have a center of inversion ( please refer to image drawn)

Why does CH2I2 have a center of inversion?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:01:43 AM by Twickel »

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
Hello,

I am having trouble identifying molecules which will have a center of inversion and which ones will not. Water ( H2O) has all its vibrations appear in IR spectroscopy, I am not sure if this molecule has a center of inversion or not.  

One of my lecturers said, if it has a axis of symmetry ( so cut it in half with a line vertical down the middle of the molecule. and the two halves should be the same but opposite) then it has a center of inversion, so then I assume that water has no Raman signals but I do not think that is the case.

now using the definition, An inversion occurs through a centre of symmetry, denoted i. (This operation involves taking each point in the object in a straight line to the inversion centre and then moving it an equal distance out the other side. i.e. if we consider the inversion centre to lie at (0,0,0) , then this operation turns a general point (x,y,z) into (-x,-y,-z). Spheres and cubes both have centres of inversion, as does a benzene molecule (a regular hexagon). Molecules such as water, ammonia and methane do not.

I do not see why water and ammonia do not have a center of inversion ( please refer to image drawn)

Why does CH2I2 have a center of inversion?

A molecule has a centre of symmetry when, for any atom in the molecule, an identical atom diametrically opposite this centre an equal distance from it.
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Offline Twickel

Ok, so why does CH2I2 have a center of inversion if, there is no iodine directly opposite the left iodine and vice versa?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
One of my lecturers said, if it has a axis of symmetry ( so cut it in half with a line vertical down the middle of the molecule. and the two halves should be the same but opposite) then it has a center of inversion, so then I assume that water has no Raman signals but I do not think that is the case

If you are cutting this in half as you describe, this is not an axis, but a plane of symmetry

Offline Twickel

Thankyou, I have scrapped that method now.

What I would like to know is, how does CH2I2have a center of inversion, if directly opposite either a hydrogen or iodine, you do not find the same atom?

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
Ok, so why does CH2I2 have a center of inversion if, there is no iodine directly opposite the left iodine and vice versa?

CH2I2, as methane CH4 has no center of inversion.
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Sponsored Links