March 29, 2024, 03:26:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to define solute and solvent? (conc. sulphuric acid and conc. nitric acid)  (Read 7069 times)

Offline WilliamYWT

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
For everywhere I've searched on books and internet, they all said solvent is generally larger in amount than solute. I wonder should I take the word "generally" seriously. And does the word "amount" means its "mass" or "no. of moles/no. of atoms/no. of ions"? Then as I'm learning acid & base. I found conc. HNO3 contains 65% by mass and conc. H2SO4 contains 98% by mass, so I wondered if they are solute because they ionizes or if there isn't really a fine line between solute and solvent.
William Yeung

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Let us say you are able to dissolve 2 g of compound A (solid) in 1 g of a liquid, say water. Now just because mass of A is greater, that doesn't make it the solvent.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
I think its a matter of view. In case of solid substanzes dissolved in a liquid, the liquid is the solvent.

But if you have two liquids it can be both.
In case of your example the acid. 98% H2SO4 contains 2% Water and 98% acid by weight.

So the acid can be dissolved in the water, but also the water can be dissolved in the acid.

In most cases if water is used it is the solvent. But in case of organic compounds it can differ.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Manufacturer selling us a concentrated sulfuric acid informs about its content in solution (at least 98 % but may be more), not about water content.
The water content for most commercial solutions  is not important.
AWK

Sponsored Links