April 16, 2024, 04:20:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Causes of false positive for various synthetic cannabinoids  (Read 21280 times)

Offline helppls

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Haven't seen this anywhere on the internet. I am currently on probation. I do not use synthetic cannabinoids, however, after starting lamotrigine I have began to false positive on my drug screens. My probation officer says that I'm smoking spice and that I will have to go before a judge! It also seems that it could give a false positive for hydrocodone abuse as it is metabolized into morphine, and I currently take hydrocodone for a recent back injury!

Here is what I have so far, hopefully someone here can help me.

Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
6-(2,3-dicholorphenyl)-1,2,4-triazine-3,5-diamine

metabolites
3,5-diamino-6-(2-methoxyphenyl)-1,2,4-triazine
morphine-3-glucuronide-D3

Synthetic Cannabinoids

JWH-250
2-(2-methoxyphenyl)-1-(1-pentylindol-3-yl)ethanone

SR-18
1-(1-(2-cyclohexylethyl)-1H-indol-3-yl-2-(2-methoxyphenyl)ethanone

RCS-8
2(2-methoxyphenyl-1-[1-(2-cyclohexylethyl)indol-3-yl]ethanone

Cannbipiperdiethanone
2-(2-methoxyphenyl)-1-[1-([1-methylpiperidin-2-yl]methyl)indol-3-yl]ethanone

I'm sure there are more, this is what I have found so far.

Must be a common metabolite. I sure do see (2-methoxyphenyl) in common. Anyone with better chemistry knowledge able to help me out? I don't want to go to jail for doing nothing wrong at all! I tried to explain what I understood to my probation officer but she doesn't seem to be very bright and laughed and told me to get out of her office. (Our wonderful justice system at work, lol.)

Any idea how these chemicals are metabolized? Am I right to assume it is the (2-methoxyphenyl) causing the test to trip?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:07:56 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Briefly, no.  The functional group 2-methoxypheny and it's potential metabolites are too common to be useful in detecting drugs of abuse, as you've just found out yourself.  What you need is a Doctor;s opinion, or maybe a lawyer who has access to information about drug tests so you have something in writing to give to the parole office, or to the judge at the hearing.  This sort of question comes up often on these boards, and I've never seen a satisfactory answer.  The experts on the subject work for the drug testing companies, and they're not going to talk about their procedure's shortcomings in an open forum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:08:04 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline helppls

Briefly, no.  The functional group 2-methoxypheny and it's potential metabolites are too common to be useful in detecting drugs of abuse, as you've just found out yourself.  What you need is a Doctor;s opinion, or maybe a lawyer who has access to information about drug tests so you have something in writing to give to the parole office, or to the judge at the hearing.  This sort of question comes up often on these boards, and I've never sen a satisfactory answer.  The experts on the subject work for the drug testing companies, and they're not going to talk about their procedure's shortcomings in an open forum.

What in Lamotrigine could possibly be causing this, then? I know for a FACT that this drug is causing the false positive, as I have not used Spice and have not started taking any other prescription drugs.

Could it be related to the napthoylindoles somehow? Could it be drugs reacting in my body?

I smoke menthols, drink caffeinated beverages, take hydrocodone 10mg/ aceta 325mg three times a day, lisinopril 20mg twice a day, and lamotrigine 200mg once a day. I thought I'd had it figured out, guess I need to keep digging. Perhaps there is a common metabolite somewhere in there. Unfortunately for me Research Chemicals are not well understood and their metabolites are mostly unknown.

Offline helppls

Question

How are quinolines and quinones related?

Some synthetic cannabinoids are quinolines.

Quinoline C9H7N

Lamotrigine C9H7N5

This is where the relation is. I know it.

On the wikipedia page for Cannabidiol, I see that Cannabidiol is insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents, such as pentane. At room temperature it is a colorless crystalline solid. In strongly basic medium and the presence of air it is oxidized to a quinone. Under acidic conditions it cyclizes to THC. The synthesis of cannabidiol has been accomplished by several research groups.

Synthetic cannabinoids are also insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents. They are mostly a white or colorless crystalline solid. Not sure if they are oxidized to a quinone in the presence of air, although I can't see why they wouldn't being cannabinoids. :P

The interesting part here, is where it says that under acidic conditions it cyclizes to THC.

I theorize that lamotrigine is converted into a chemical structure similar to or perhaps even a synthetic cannabinoid when in the acidic conditions of either the stomach or in the bladder in urine.

Someone stop me if I'm way off here, or point me in the right direction so I can keep plugging away.

Offline helppls

Figured it out.

Three things led to my false positive drug test.

1) My diet, consisting almost solely of pizza and cheeseburgers. It has been shown that a high fat diet leads to increased levels of Anandamide, an endogenous cannabinoid neurotransmitter. Anandamide is transformed into arachidonic acid through degredation by FAAH (Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolaze).

2) My prescription for Hydrocodone 10mg / Acetaminophen 325mg. Arachidonic acid is combined with acetaminophen by FAAH to create AM-404, which is similar to the other AM series of drugs that were commonly abused such as AM-2201. Acetaminophen acts as a pro-drug for a cannabimimetic metabolite.

3) Similarities between Lamotrigine (Lamictal) and the quinoline cannabimimetics. (I do not fully understand this, but I am POSITIVE that there are shared metabolites between Lamotrigine and some synthetic cannabinoids. Hopefully my research will help shed some light on its full mechanism of action and possibly even lead to better medications for bipolar disorder.)

Sound right?

Offline helppls

Could we get the title of this thread changed, since it wasn't (or wasn't solely) the lamotrigine causing the false positive? I don't want to drag a perfectly good pharmaceutical through the mud or scare people away from it.

Sponsored Links