April 23, 2024, 10:28:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How's Khan Academy with Organic Chem?  (Read 2890 times)

Offline NathanielZhu

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
How's Khan Academy with Organic Chem?
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »
I'll be taking organic chem next semester so I'm watching Khan Academy's videos on Organic Chemistry and it just seems way too easy.
Is it because he covers the college course really shallowly or is orgo really this easy?
I mean, based on what we actually learn in a university class (I assume it isn't too different for every teacher).

Offline aspiringphysician

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • ♥ sweet as C12H22O11 ♥
Re: How's Khan Academy with Organic Chem?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:10:23 AM »
Honestly, I haven't watched a whole lot of Khan academy's videos (I prefer FreelanceTeacher  ;D), but from what I've seen, they're pretty good. He tends to use very basic examples, so they make O-chem seem pretty straightforward. The key is to be able to apply the mechanisms to more complicated molecules and reactions. The main thing that makes O-chem so difficult is the sheer number of mechanisms and reagents to memorize. Of course, memorization is only part of it, because you absolutely must be able to understand how molecules "behave and interact" with each other to truly do well in O-chem. It's all a matter of opinion. If you like a good challenge and love to learn and work hard, you'll like O-chem. I am in my second semester of O-chem, and I'm really starting to enjoy it!  :)
"Now, before you get all 'high-and-mighty', remember that some PLANTS have more complex genomes than YOU!" ~ Dr. Linn

Sponsored Links