April 24, 2024, 05:29:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dangerous "Organic" Compounds  (Read 20012 times)

golden

Dangerous "Organic" Compounds
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:21:14 PM »
Often on chemical forums, i hear about "organics", "organic compounds", and "organic salts", that "I dont want to talk about" or "hush-hush", but what exactly are these chemicals.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Dangerous "Organic" Compounds
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 05:26:10 PM »
Organic peroxides to name one class of dangerous organic compounds.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 06:33:17 PM »
Often on chemical forums, i hear about "organics", "organic compounds", and "organic salts", that "I dont want to talk about" or "hush-hush", but what exactly are these chemicals.

Usually substances that are either used as explosives or in synthesis of explosives, or drugs or substances that can be used in synthesis of drugs. In general they are not discussed on the chemicalforums in details.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

golden

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 06:42:45 PM »
Like VOC's?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 06:47:01 PM »
Not unless you try to sniff it.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

RyanJones

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 06:53:19 PM »
Anything with organic and mercury together are quite dangerous... organic mercury compounds are quite deadly killers...

As has already been said Organic Peroxides too because they like to explode.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Offline science2000

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • Bio/Chem Student
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 03:45:53 PM »
Some organic compounds are difficult to break down in the body and interfere with hormones and DNA. Dioxins are an example. These are highly dangerous.

RyanJones

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 07:37:05 PM »
I also forgot, Cyanides are considered organic and are very, very toxic, formaldehyde is another...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison has quite a good list, I suugeest haveing a look there - most of what has been said here is listed there too :-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 09:04:14 PM »
You can hardly class CH3CHO in the same league as cyanide salts, I know formaldehyde isn't exactly the loveliest of chemicals, but its not exactly one slip and youre a corpse before you have time to call for help like cyanides, azides, cholinesterase inhibitors etc.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 09:57:13 PM »
Another likely list of "hush hush" chemicals is the list of DEA List I Chemicals, possible drug precursors.

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/prod/researchlab/IH/cs_program/program/appendix_B.html
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/law/law_fed_list1_2000.shtml

In the USA, I think (not completely sure) that you can legally possess these materials, but in practice, an individual has little to no chance of buying them.

Element collectors:  Red (and white) phosphorus are listed.  (The old Erowid list doesn't name them, btw, but they are on the current list.)

RyanJones

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 05:33:41 AM »
You can hardly class CH3CHO in the same league as cyanide salts, I know formaldehyde isn't exactly the loveliest of chemicals, but its not exactly one slip and youre a corpse before you have time to call for help like cyanides, azides, cholinesterase inhibitors etc.

True, I was not lisitng it there because it was as lethal as cyanide though, I was lisitng it there ebcause it was the only one I could think of at the time... I totally forgot about azides, explosive and very toxit....

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 10:32:55 AM »
Azides exert toxicity in mucn the same was as cyanide ions do, working with azides always makes me somewhat nervous, given that they are both explosive AND toxic, makes for a really fun, friendly and lovely day in one's lab.

Two others that I could think of, are fluoroacetate salts, real potent, insidious poisons, as they block the krebs cycle, and AFAIK, there is no treatment for fluoroacetate poisoning, and HF, dissolving bones away from the inside and producing heat failure.

Sometimes I wonder, what the average lifespan of amateur chemists is :-\
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 02:38:12 PM »
I personally don't consider cyanides and azides as organic compounds, but I understand why they are thought of as such.  (Since cyanides are produced by many biological entities).  

As for the reasons why we don't discuss explosives/drugs synthesis here at the forums, there are numerous reasons;

1):  If you are responsible enough to handle the synthesis/disposal of these compounds, you wouldn't need to come to an internet message board in order to ask about them.

2):  If you knew how to respectfully handle these substances, again, you'd already know everything about them and wouldn't have to come to a message board to ask about their synthesis.

There are numerous members of the boards here who have used these compounds in the past and know what they are doing with them.  Still, we do not discuss these substances as all it takes is one retard who THINKS he knows everything and suddenly our site is shut down and the service it provides to large numbers of people will be taken away.

So if we seem a bit harsh in our stance on this, it's nothing personal.  It's just that if you really want to know about this stuff you'll have to spend some time in an organic chemistry class and you'll soon learn about them yourself.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links