April 26, 2024, 04:07:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Simple # of Atoms Calculation  (Read 8095 times)

Offline mburt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Simple # of Atoms Calculation
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
Hi guys,

Just a bit of background on me: I completed chemistry in high school and did pretty good, but then when I went to university I didn't take any chem courses for a year. This coming fall I'm going to be enrolled in an introductory university chem course, so I'm doing some prep work now.

The question:

Calculate the total number of atoms in one molecule of trinitrotuluene (TNT), CH3C6H2(NO2)3.

My answer:

So in ONE molecule, wouldn't the number of atoms just be the combined number of all its constituents? So is 21 the correct answer?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Simple # of Atoms Calculation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »
Yep.  Good work.  You've gotten the terms down straight.  Now, try the rest of the associated problems.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline mburt

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
Thanks for your quick response! I'm pretty sure I understand the basic concepts of molecules made up of atoms (and compounds made up of loads of molecules), and ionic compounds which are expressed in ratios of ions, with the convention of formula units (even though the actual pairs of ions may not exist).

It's all starting to come back to me now.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »
compounds made up of loads of molecules

No, check the definitions again. A molecule is a neutral compound that is held together only by covalent bonds. Compound is just a more general term - a molecule is a sub-type of compound.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline mburt

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
I was talking about the actual composition of organic compounds- that they are made up of molecules. Are they not?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_compound

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecule

I drew you a Venn diagram, hopefully that will help clarify it:

Offline mburt

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
Alright I read through the Wikipedia page and the diagram you provided, but I can't help get the feeling that this goes against everything I've learned about compounds in chemistry.

My basic understanding is this (water will be my example):

Hydrogen atoms, H, are found in proportions of 2:1 with oxygen atoms, O, to make a water molecule. I thought that if you had a volume of water, say 1 L, that the 1 L is made up of millions of molecules of H20.

So isn't the compound water, made up of water molecules? In my head I just see lots H20 interconnected molecules.

I understand that ionic compounds are different altogether - I do have some grasp of it, but maybe that question is for another time - but the question I am asking, I think, is mostly involved with molecules with covalent, and not ionic bonds.

Thanks for your help

Offline mburt

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »
Actually, after reviewing your diagram more closely I think I understand now.

I was only considering molecular compounds, which like you said, are both molecules and compounds.

Thanks a lot. I'll save that diagram.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »
Hydrogen atoms, H, are found in proportions of 2:1 with oxygen atoms, O, to make a water molecule. I thought that if you had a volume of water, say 1 L, that the 1 L is made up of millions of molecules of H20.

Yes, absolutely. Millions is an understatement, there are ~3 x 1025 molecules in a litre of water - so somewhere around thirty million million million million!

So isn't the compound water, made up of water molecules? In my head I just see lots H20 interconnected molecules.

The fact that there are many of the molecules in the bucket of water is not what makes water a compound - the definition of a compound does not require there to be more than one molecule. I've never seen the term "compound water" used to mean this.

Thanks a lot. I'll save that diagram.

No problem, you're welcome.

Sponsored Links