April 18, 2024, 06:50:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Detection of triazoles  (Read 4929 times)

Offline wonka_vision

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Detection of triazoles
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »
Hello - I'm trying to monitor the addition of an alkyne end group on a polymer I've made by forming a 1,2,3-triazole with sodium azide. Would anyone be able to tell me whether or not the 1,2,3-triazole is UV active? I am unable to find any mention of its spectral properties in the literature.

Thanks!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Detection of triazoles
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
Hello - I'm trying to monitor the addition of an alkyne end group on a polymer I've made by forming a 1,2,3-triazole with sodium azide. Would anyone be able to tell me whether or not the 1,2,3-triazole is UV active? I am unable to find any mention of its spectral properties in the literature.

Thanks!

Would you expect them to be UV active?
It's very easy to check it!
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline wonka_vision

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »

Thanks!

Haha absolutely - However I'd like to know for sure before buying the copper catalyst to perform the cycloaddition.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

Thanks!

Haha absolutely - However I'd like to know for sure before buying the copper catalyst to perform the cycloaddition.

Well, go buy it!
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
 2,3 dipolar cycloadditions of alkynes and azides need copper catalysts or high temperatures to go unless the alkyne is strained, like in a cyclooctyne.  At least that is the case with substituted azides, the anion though, I am less confident.  I would check out the work of Carolyn Bertozzi, Valery Fokin, and MG Finn for info on the Huisgen cycloaddition.  Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links