April 25, 2024, 05:40:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Polarities of Aniseed Oil Constituents  (Read 3015 times)

tenchan

Polarities of Aniseed Oil Constituents
« on: December 07, 2005, 10:39:48 AM »
Hi!  :)

I did a thin layer chromatographic analysis of aniseed oil, but I unfortunately do not have access to a reference standard chromatogram.  :-[  I'm trying to determine the approximate theoretical distances the constituents would travel based on their polarities.  I've found what aniseed oil theoretically contains and I've also researched their structures.  Those structures I couldn't find, I tried to draw based on their IUPAC name.  There's a .gif file attached to this post which contains the structures.  My polarity-determining skills seem to be a bit rusty, but here's my "guess" at the compounds' polarities...

From least to greatest polarity:
sesquiterpene hydrocarbon < chavicol methyl ether / anethole (can't decide which is more polar of the two) < anisic aldehyde < p-methoxyphenylacetone < anisic acid < safrole

I have no idea where 2-(2'-Methyl)butyrate-5-methoxy-trans-propenylbenzene fits in that sequence. ^^;  I'm not sure about its structure either...

I also feel I made a lot of errors in ordering them that way...so if anyone could please, please help in determining their relative polarities, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 10:48:59 AM by tenchan »

Sponsored Links