March 28, 2024, 03:03:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: High School Chemistry~~How much Algebra 2?  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Ellron

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
High School Chemistry~~How much Algebra 2?
« on: July 28, 2012, 04:03:39 AM »
I will be taking Chemistry Honors this year, and I haven't taken Algebra 2. I understand that chemistry requires some logarithms. I have taken Algebra 1 and I'm confident to tackle an quadratics, exponents, etc. I taught myself this summer to calculate moles, which turned out to be really easy.
Do you think I will be able to get through Chemistry with help on advanced mathematics outside of school? Thanks for the help.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: High School Chemistry~~How much Algebra 2?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:16:58 AM »
I will be taking Chemistry Honors this year, and I haven't taken Algebra 2. I understand that chemistry requires some logarithms. I have taken Algebra 1 and I'm confident to tackle an quadratics, exponents, etc. I taught myself this summer to calculate moles, which turned out to be really easy.
Do you think I will be able to get through Chemistry with help on advanced mathematics outside of school? Thanks for the help.

what is Algebra 2? What do you mean by Chemistry Honors? Not every country has the same education system.

Offline Ellron

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:32:28 AM »
I believe Algebra 2 is pretty much the same across all European countries. I know it introduces logarithms and tri-nomials.  Chemistry Honors is "accelerated" high school chemistry.

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »
Chemistry honors basically covers everything except equilibrium and equilibrium constants. That means it covers things like nomenclature, nuclear reactions, gas laws, etc. It covers acid-base and rate equations very briefly.

Not much algebra 2 should be required, even logarithms. However, depending on your teacher, you may want to look into logs just to be safe. Beyond that, the quadratic formula is really the only other thing you need.

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »
The hardest math I did in high school chem (AP) was solving a quartic function in equilibrium.
Entropy happens.

Offline Ellron

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:43:04 AM »
Sounds good. I'll look into logs.
The quadratic formula is a cake walk for me. So that's promising.

Offline Ellron

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »
Also, for curiosity, what are logs used to calculate?

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
The pH scale is logarithmic, so anything in relation to calculating a pH will likely involve a logarithm. I would imagine anything you're getting into at this level isn't going to require a ridiculous manipulation of it, so a basic understanding of what a logarithm (and anti-log) is should be enough.

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »
ΔG = -RT ln K (thermodynamics) is just a little equation besides pH that may require (natural) logs. And the Nernst equation (electrochemistry) has a natural log. That's about it.
Entropy happens.

Sponsored Links