March 29, 2024, 09:11:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: IR/NMR question!!! Please help, making me angryyyy.  (Read 10455 times)

Offline arbz101

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
IR/NMR question!!! Please help, making me angryyyy.
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »
Provide a structure for the following compound: C6H13N; IR: 3280, 1653, 898 cm–1; 1H
NMR spectrum: 2H in a doublet, 2H in a singlet, 2H in a quartet, 3H in a singlet, 3H in a doublet, 1H in a singlet

I'm think the 2H in a quartet and the 3H in a doublet would have to be Ch2-Ch3 on a central carbon with no hydrogens attached to that central carbon; I am also thinking this is a primary amine with (R-NH2); what i'm stuck on is how you can have a split 2H doublet and no splitting on the 1H singlet?
Any help would be appreciated; this question is making me angry!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: IR/NMR question!!! Please help, making me angryyyy.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
Provide a structure for the following compound: C6H13N; IR: 3280, 1653, 898 cm–1; 1H
NMR spectrum: 2H in a doublet, 2H in a singlet, 2H in a quartet, 3H in a singlet, 3H in a doublet, 1H in a singlet

I'm think the 2H in a quartet and the 3H in a doublet would have to be Ch2-Ch3 on a central carbon with no hydrogens attached to that central carbon; I am also thinking this is a primary amine with (R-NH2); what i'm stuck on is how you can have a split 2H doublet and no splitting on the 1H singlet?
Any help would be appreciated; this question is making me angry!

If it had CH2-CH3 then you would see a 2H quartet and a 3H triplet.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: IR/NMR question!!! Please help, making me angryyyy.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »
There isn't a lot to go on here, but with the MF, there is a ring or double bond. I'd suggest a ring. Just put the pieces together. If a 3H is a CH3 or NH3(+), the 2H are CH2's, etc, there cannot be that many possibilities. Suggest at least one of them. For example, start with N,2-dimethylpyrrolidine. Is there anything right or wrong with it? Can you use something from it to come up with another structure?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links