March 29, 2024, 02:03:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cholesterol Hormone Synthesis Extra Reading  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Quizman1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cholesterol Hormone Synthesis Extra Reading
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »
I just completed a lab in chem class where we isolated cholesterol from egg yolks.  Unfortunately our  Bio Chem class isn't delving into the subject of how cholesterol turns into hormones in the body like estrogen and testosterone too deeply.  I was wondering if anyone had any sources on HPTA lab chemistry that I could check out.  I'm a poor college student (like a lot of the people on this board I'm sure) and a free or cheap online source would be awesome.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Cholesterol Hormone Synthesis Extra Reading
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:27:55 PM »
The typical biochemistry text often gives the step by step pathway for biosynthesis of various biochemicals, and steroid hormones are a good example.  Failing that, wikipedia often (not always, but often) has the bio-synthetic pathway.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Cholesterol Hormone Synthesis Extra Reading
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
The diagram at Wikipedia does not include cosubstrates, such as NADPH, but I did not catch any errors when I glanced at it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrogen

If biochemistry is of interest to you, you might obtain an older edition of a textbook quite cheaply (ca. $5.00).

Sponsored Links