April 24, 2024, 05:02:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dosing calculation: 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol for acid passivation  (Read 3466 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
I was debottlenecking some Petroleum Refinery Unit Operations (non-aqueous) where to reduce equipment attack by traces (<1%) of dissolved  HCl they dose  2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol.

I was wondering what is the operative reaction here that kills the acid; is it just the stoichiometric adduct formation of 2,2′,2′′-Nitrilotriethanol hydrochloride?

That'd be a mol for mol stoichiometry.

Or is there another reaction system at work that I ought to consider? Also, what'd  be a good analytical method for estimating this organic-dissolved-HCl  so as to rationally decide on 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol dosing quantities?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Dosing calculation: 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol for acid passivation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:32:54 AM »
I was debottlenecking some Petroleum Refinery Unit Operations (non-aqueous) where to reduce equipment attack by traces (<1%) of dissolved  HCl they dose  2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol.

I was wondering what is the operative reaction here that kills the acid; is it just the stoichiometric adduct formation of 2,2′,2′′-Nitrilotriethanol hydrochloride?

That'd be a mol for mol stoichiometry.

Or is there another reaction system at work that I ought to consider? Also, what'd  be a good analytical method for estimating this organic-dissolved-HCl  so as to rationally decide on 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol dosing quantities?

It would seen to be the HCl salt as you say.
I would titrate the organic dissolved HCl, then you will get an accurate value for the dosing.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
I would titrate the organic dissolved HCl, then you will get an accurate value for the dosing.

So just to clarify that'd mean titrating against, say, NaOH or KOH to a pH=7 end point? Or should I be using 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol for the titration?

I was a bit worried if the HCl would actually dissociate fully in the non-aqueous medium. If not would titration against NaOH etc. work as usual?  Sorry if I am making any basic analytical chemistry blunders.

As an aside I am also wondering why the process designers had chosen 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol for removing the HCl. Is this a natural choice? Sounded a bit exotic to me and I'm wondering if there'd be any other reagents I could try.

Any tips?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »

So just to clarify that'd mean titrating against, say, NaOH or KOH to a pH=7 end point? Or should I be using 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol for the titration?

I was a bit worried if the HCl would actually dissociate fully in the non-aqueous medium. If not would titration against NaOH etc. work as usual?  Sorry if I am making any basic analytical chemistry blunders.

As an aside I am also wondering why the process designers had chosen 2,2',2"-Nitrilotriethanol for removing the HCl. Is this a natural choice? Sounded a bit exotic to me and I'm wondering if there'd be any other reagents I could try.

Any tips?

Just a normal titration against NaOH will give you the HCl concentration.
No idea why they chose such an exotic amine, but there must be a reason for it.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links