April 24, 2024, 06:48:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ideas for Lab Equipment to study kinetics of vap. phase rearrangement  (Read 3533 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
I'm supposed to design an experimental rig to measure kinetics of a vapor phase rearrangement reaction.  I've formulated some basic ideas of how to go about this but would love comments or sugesstions.

The reaction itself is fairly straigtforward A :rarrow: B but happens in the gas phase at around 600 C and a vacuum of ~100 mmHg (abs). We might also test an option to co-feed either N2 or steam to kill side reactions. The reaction is fairly fast with residence times of ~0.5 sec. 

Both A and B are high boiling organic liquids. Analysis protocols are well established.

Any sugesstions about what sort of rig to use? One option is to use an electrically-heated thin, long pipe to carry the reaction. Should I do it in continuous mode or batch mode?

I'm also a bit lost as to how to dose A / N2 / H2O accurately at these small flow rates.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Ideas for Lab Equipment to study kinetics of vap. phase rearrangement
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
I'm supposed to design an experimental rig to measure kinetics of a vapor phase rearrangement reaction.  I've formulated some basic ideas of how to go about this but would love comments or sugesstions.

The reaction itself is fairly straigtforward A :rarrow: B but happens in the gas phase at around 600 C and a vacuum of ~100 mmHg (abs). We might also test an option to co-feed either N2 or steam to kill side reactions. The reaction is fairly fast with residence times of ~0.5 sec. 

Both A and B are high boiling organic liquids. Analysis protocols are well established.

Any sugesstions about what sort of rig to use? One option is to use an electrically-heated thin, long pipe to carry the reaction. Should I do it in continuous mode or batch mode?

I'm also a bit lost as to how to dose A / N2 / H2O accurately at these small flow rates.

Have a look at flash vacuum pyrolysis systems.
http://www.fkf.mpg.de/125007/Pyrolysis_Furnace
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Thanks discodermolide! That's exactly what I want to do; but unfortunately the page is a bit lacking on how exactly one would design such a system. Any pointers where to look?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
Thanks discodermolide! That's exactly what I want to do; but unfortunately the page is a bit lacking on how exactly one would design such a system. Any pointers where to look?

Just search google for flash vacuum pyrolysis, or go to the library at the Uni.
A lot of equipment may be obtainable from suppliers, perhaps you can get ideas from their catalogues. Many people by the basic stuff and add their own modifications to suit their particular needs.
I personally have never had experience with such equipment.
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 06:46:56 AM »
Following up, there's some practical problems we are facing:

(1) Should we use a metering pump for liq. A and then force it into a vaporizer? The trick here would be assuring that all A vaporizes.  Or is  there a good way to meter in pre-vaporized A. 

(2) Is it feasible to use a chilled water / brine condenser to quench or would a liq. N2 trap be ideal?

(3) What's a good way to deliver a precise metered N2 flow in the lab?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
You can get efficient gas and liquid flowmeters which are very accurate.
You can vaporise A after the meter or , which may be better, before and pass vaporised A through the meter.
A liquid nitrogen trap I think is essential then you will catch everything.
My Research History

Sponsored Links