April 23, 2024, 01:58:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I am Stumped need help with Zinc Chlride Emperical Formula!!  (Read 5811 times)

Offline BioTechLife

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am Stumped need help with Zinc Chlride Emperical Formula!!
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
ok, i have this lab due tomorrow and i know THIS IS not cheating just looking for help. I've been up for two days trying to figure this out!!
Here's what I have :

A. Zinc Chloride
1. Mass of evaporating dish and zinc =56.023g
2. Mass of evaporating dish= 55.346g
3. Mass of zinc= 0.677g

4. Mass of evaporating dish and zinc chloride= 51.864g
5. Mass of zinc chloride= 15.018g
6. Mass of chlorine in zinc chloride= 14.341g
7. Empirical formula for zinc chloride (show calculations)=??
8. Balanced chemical equation for the formation of zinc chloride from zinc and HCI=??

9. Can you determine the molecular formula of a substance from its percent composition?=??
10. Given that zinc chloride has a formula weight of 136.28 amu, what is its formula?=??
11. How many grams of zinc chloride could be formed from the reaction of 7.96g of zinc with excess HCI?=??
12. How many kilograms of copper sulfide could be formed from the reaction of 1.80 mol of copper with excess sulfur?=??
13. If copper(I) sulfide is partially roasted in air (reaction with O2), copper(I) sulfite is first formed. Subsequently, upon heating, the copper sulfite thermally decomposes to copper(I) oxide and sulfur dioxide. Write balanced chemical equations for these two reactions.=??

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: I am Stumped need help with Zinc Chlride Emperical Formula!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »
You can start to begin to figure out this problem by writing a balanced chemical reaction.  Once you've done that, you can begin to solve the first question, then the next, etc.  The least two don't use your experimental results, so you can slove them on your own, again, starting with a balanced chemical reaction.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links