March 29, 2024, 07:37:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equilibrium constant K from initial concentrations?  (Read 4836 times)

Offline spKelpDiver

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Equilibrium constant K from initial concentrations?
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »

Consider the following reaction:
2H2S(g) + SO2(g)  ::equil:: 3S(s) + 2H20 (g)

A reaction mixture initially containing 0.510M H2S(g)  and 0.510M SO2(g)  was found to contain 1.1×10−3M H20 (g)  at a certain temperature. A second reaction mixture at the same temperature initially contains  0.250M H2S(g)and  0.325M SO2(g) . Calculate the equilibrium concentration of H20  in the second mixture at this temperature.

I solved this problem, but I did so by breaking some big rules (or atleast I thought I did).

1.) I took the value of [H20]/[H2S][SO2] (all raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients) from the first reaction mixture. I arbitrarily called this value Kc, even though I know (or atleast I thought) that you can only obtain Kc from concentrations at equillibrium! The way this problem is worded it appears that these are initial concentrations. This value turned out to be 9.12x10^(-6)

2.) I set the Kc I obtained from the first reaction mixture equal to the concentrations of the second reaction mixture and solved for [H20]...9.12x10^(-6) = [H20]^2 / [H2S]^2[SO2] 

Mastering Chemistry told me I was right even though it felt so wrong! How was I able to obtain Kc from initial concentrations? Why did my final answer turn out to be right? Maybe I misunderstanding the wording of the question itself.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Equilibrium constant K from initial concentrations?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
I think you were right because the amount of water formed was so low that at equilibrium the reactants concentrations are effectively the same as they were initially. Makes sense?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Equilibrium constant K from initial concentrations?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 04:04:30 AM »
0.510-1.1x10-3=0.5089

0.5089/0.510*100%=99.8%

Assuming 0.510 you are introducing error of about 0.2%. Not that much.

But technically - as all information is given - seems to me like you could calculate all concentrations from the reaction stoichiometry.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links