April 16, 2024, 12:55:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: organic chemistry mixtures  (Read 14247 times)

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: organic chemistry mixtures
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »
Imagine you have a pocket full of black and white marbles. You take two at random. Do you expect to draw always two identical ones?

I rather liked this example. I wish I had thought of it. I thought it explained getting a mixture of products without telling the poster he would get a mixture of products.

Yeh but it seems even telling them the actual answer has not got the message across. 

I got sick of watching you all being helpful while Moneyking did not try to understand at all.

Offline Moneyking

• Mole Snacks: +0/-15
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »
Imagine you have a pocket full of black and white marbles. You take two at random. Do you expect to draw always two identical ones?

I rather liked this example. I wish I had thought of it. I thought it explained getting a mixture of products without telling the poster he would get a mixture of products.

Yeh but it seems even telling them the actual answer has not got the message across. 

I got sick of watching you all being helpful while Moneyking did not try to understand at all.
I am trying to understand, but i just don't get it?!?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
Any two alcohol molecules can react producing ether.

If you have just one alcohol, every time two molecules react they are identical, so what is produced is a diX ether - be it diethyl or dimethyl (two white marbles when all marbles are white, or two black marbles when all marbles are black).

But if you have a mixture of both alcohols, two molecules that react can be either identical (two whites or two blacks) or two different (white and black), so there are three possible products.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Moneyking

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:44 PM »
Any two alcohol molecules can react producing ether.

If you have just one alcohol, every time two molecules react they are identical, so what is produced is a diX ether - be it diethyl or dimethyl (two white marbles when all marbles are white, or two black marbles when all marbles are black).

But if you have a mixture of both alcohols, two molecules that react can be either identical (two whites or two blacks) or two different (white and black), so there are three possible products.
k, so um can you just show me how ethanol + methanol + sufuric acid = methoxyethane + dimethy ether + diethyl ether?

what happens to the Sulphur? what about the Carbons, where do they come from?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »

k, so um can you just show me how ethanol + methanol + sufuric acid = methoxyethane + dimethy ether + diethyl ether?

To answer those questions, you will have to start with a simpler question.  Consider: just methanol and sulfuric acid.  You know they form dimethyl ether.  Try to complete the reaction yourself, if you want to know where the sulfur goes.  Try to draw the structure of methanol and dimethyl ether, if you're having trouble keeping track of the carbons.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Moneyking

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »

To answer those questions, you will have to start with a simpler question.  Consider: just methanol and sulfuric acid.  You know they form dimethyl ether.  Try to complete the reaction yourself, if you want to know where the sulfur goes.  Try to draw the structure of methanol and dimethyl ether, if you're having trouble keeping track of the carbons.
dimethyl ether has 2 carbons, and methanol has only 1 carbon, where does the other carbon come from?!?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 03:53:10 AM »
dimethyl ether has 2 carbons, and methanol has only 1 carbon, where does the other carbon come from?!?

You have already shown you know how ethers are produced:

methanol+ethanol = methoxyethane + H2O

so you know answer to your question.

You are just trolling now.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links