April 25, 2024, 07:06:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Single Point energy calculations  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Single Point energy calculations
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
So I'm trying to find the single point energies of certain molecules.

What I want to know is, what happens if I optimize geometry using a certain basis set, say 3-21G, I can get the energy directly from the output file. Now if I do an SPE calculation using 6-31G on this optimized geometry,  get another value. Can we say generally that one method is better than the other? If so, which one?

The variational principle may not be at work, so I can't blindy say one is better just because the energy is lower, right?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Single Point energy calculations
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »

What I want to know is, what happens if I optimize geometry using a certain basis set, say 3-21G, I can get the energy directly from the output file. Now if I do an SPE calculation using 6-31G on this optimized geometry,  get another value. Can we say generally that one method is better than the other? If so, which one?

How were you planning to? On which criterion? Lower energy?

The variational principle may not be at work, so I can't blindy say one is better just because the energy is lower, right?

I don't think you can. Can you state what you mean  by the variational principle? Been a while since I took those classes.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »
The variational theorem states that any ground state energy calculated using a trial wavefunction is always greater than or equal to the true ground state energy of the molecule.

So, if the wavefunctions used are all trial waefunctions which have the same boundary conditions as th true wavefuntions would have, then I'd most certainly be using the variational principle. This would mean that in case I obtain an energy via 6-31G that is lower than 3-21G, then I can safely assume that the 6-31G value is closer to the true ground state energy, although it is not equal to the true energy.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
The variational theorem states that any ground state energy calculated using a trial wavefunction is always greater than or equal to the true ground state energy of the molecule.

So, if the wavefunctions used are all trial waefunctions which have the same boundary conditions as th true wavefuntions would have, then I'd most certainly be using the variational principle. This would mean that in case I obtain an energy via 6-31G that is lower than 3-21G, then I can safely assume that the 6-31G value is closer to the true ground state energy, although it is not equal to the true energy.

I think that's only valid when comparing different trial-wavefunctions but with the same basis-set.  e.g. you couldn't use two different pseudopotentials or cutoffs and expect to compare the energies.

I'm not very sure though..

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »

The comparison has to be made to experiment or the result of a full CI (with a large basis set). In your case you are using an extended basis, therefore you would expect a better energy value.
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! Appreciate it :)
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links