April 20, 2024, 07:06:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cost of creating a new compound?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Enantiomer

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Cost of creating a new compound?
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »
Hi all,
As the title says, I was wondering if anyone knew the average cost in R&D of creating a new compound OR for creating a new synthetic method for that compound?  I'm talking about for academia and industry strictly, pharmaceuticals have a lot of numbers on how much there R&D does but obviously they have to go through more stringent methods and higher amounts of trials,  I'm looking stricktly for materials.  Also a reference would be outstanding.

Thanks!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Cost of creating a new compound?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
This is or is not including the cost of clinical trials?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline zoork34

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
You're going to need to be more specific.  Even if you aren't talking about pharmaceuticals, the cost of getting a new compound on the market varies drastically depending on the application.  For instance, chemicals that have an eventual fate of being released into the environment (drilling additives, agrochemicals, etc.) will have a lot more testing that needs to be done vs. a chemical that will only be used in a lab for research purposes.  With the information you currently gave, there is probably a range of a few hundred thousand to a few million dollars. 

Offline BobfromNC

• Mole Snacks: +14/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
The cost of creating a new compound for industry or academia would depend 1) the cost of the SMs, 2) the amount of material needed (scale) 3) the number of steps to make it, and 4) cost of labor. 

Assuming a relatively simple compound with 3 simple steps, to get 1 gram of product might be $1000 in chemicals, and 3 days of labor.   But that is just a wild guess without knowing the details, purification needed, etc.   

In the would of Pharma, when buying set of many novel "screening" compounds, the average cost ran at $100 for 10 mg, or up to $1000 for 1g.    But that was for commercially available compounds. 

But again, if you only want one compound, the cost will be much higher than if you are making a series of them, where the chemicals might be shared.  This all assumes a route is known, if not, then the cost will go up very quickly.

Sponsored Links