March 29, 2024, 07:13:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cell Potential Between Non-Redox Reactions  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Araconan

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Cell Potential Between Non-Redox Reactions
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »
So my textbook states that one of the uses for the Nernst Equation is in calculating the equilibrium constants for reactions that are not redox reactions.

The example that was given was as follows:

Consider a silver concentration cell, in which on the left beaker, there is a 0.1M concentration of AgNO3 and in the right beaker, there is a 1M concentration of AgNO3.
Now, if the AgNO3 solution in the left beaker is replaced by 1.0M NaCl and an excess of solid AgCl is added to the cell, the nernst equation can be used to calculate the concentration of Ag+, provided that the observed cell potential is given.

What I don't understand, is that since there is no redox reaction, wouldn't the cell potential be 0? (In the succeeding calculations for the Nernst equation, they only used a value of 0 for the standard emf). Also, when they said that an excess of solid AgCl is added "to the cell", is that adding it to both containers? Only the right one?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Cell Potential Between Non-Redox Reactions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
No idea what they mean. There will be a redox reaction taking place. AgCl(s) in 1 M NaCl doesn't mean no Ag+, just low concentration around 10-10 M - so it will be still a concentration cell.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Cell Potential Between Non-Redox Reactions
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
What I don't understand, is that since there is no redox reaction, wouldn't the cell potential be 0?

There is an potential because the concentrations are different.

Sponsored Links