April 23, 2024, 09:27:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction of MEP synthase in the MEP pathway  (Read 2160 times)

Offline premed786

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction of MEP synthase in the MEP pathway
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been given a problem set to complete and am currently working on the reaction catalyzed by MEP synthase. Unfortunately I've been unable to find a legitimate source for the MEP structure but I've gotten some hints and clues as to how the reaction would proceed.

Our professor wants us to clearly show the movement of electrons. So far i've gotten that we would have one molecule of 1-deoxy-D-xylulose 5-phosphate that undergoes an acid base catalysis to yield an intermediate molecule which then has to be further reduced by MEP synthase.. however i'm not completely sure what role MEP synthase plays here.

Basically how does MEP synthase aid in the movement of electrons to yield the final structure of the reaction...

In addition, we have fosmydocin all the information i've been able to find online suggests that fosmydocin is very similar structurally to MEP synthase so can we assume that fosmydocin binds to MEP synthase active site thereby blocking the substrate from binding..

any help would be most welcome! thank you

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Reaction of MEP synthase in the MEP pathway
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »
Would you define MEP?  Is it by any chance 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol 4-phosphate?

Offline premed786

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:12:50 AM »
Would you define MEP?  Is it by any chance 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol 4-phosphate?

yes that is correct.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »
Basically how does MEP synthase aid in the movement of electrons to yield the final structure of the reaction...

In addition, we have fosmydocin all the information i've been able to find online suggests that fosmydocin is very similar structurally to MEP synthase so can we assume that fosmydocin binds to MEP synthase active site thereby blocking the substrate from binding..
I think you meant to say that fosmydocin is very similar to MEP or to the reactant, not to MEP synthase, which is the enzyme.  Enzymes are catalysts, and this particular one has some cofactors.  I might start by asking how many electrons have to be added to the substrate to turn it into the product.  The easiest way to do this is to assign oxidation numbers to the carbon atoms.  You need a second reactant which supplies the electrons.  Also, you need more than some simple acid/base chemistry to generate the product in this case.  If you draw out the reactant and product, you will see what I mean.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
There has to be a rearrangement of the carbon-carbon bonds in this reaction.

Sponsored Links