April 26, 2024, 10:08:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: a few simple stoichiometry exercises check please!  (Read 6219 times)

Offline John_Kimble

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
a few simple stoichiometry exercises check please!
« on: December 02, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
Hello everyone!

These are all simple exercises, but could someone please check over them quickly, just to be 100% sure, since there's a high possibility that they'll be used in the test.

I know it's quite a lot, but I will try to write down my procedures as clearly as I can. I'm confident they're mostly correct, but I'd really like to be sure.

Thanks a lot!!!

1) The following reaction produced 0.022 g of calcium oxalate (CaC2O4). What mass of calcium chloride was used as reactant?

CaCl2 (aq) + Na2C2O4 (aq) → CaC2O4 (s) + 2 NaCl (aq)

I calculate the # of moles of calcium oxalate ; then look at the stoichiometric equivalence between the 2 (1:1) and calculate the mass of CaCl2.

Result is 0.019063 g.

2) The principal component of many kidney stones is calcium oxalate. A kidney stone recovered from a typical patient contains 8.5 x 10^20 formula units of calcium oxalate. How many moles of calcium oxalate are present in this kidney stone? What is the mass of the kidney stone in grams?

a) I calculate the # of moles using Avogadro's # and the given formula units. Result is 0.0014115 mol.

b) Using the molar mass of the compound (128.1 g/mol) and result from a) I calculate the mass. Result is 0.1808 g.

3) Chloral hydrate, a sedative and sleep-inducing drug, is available as a solution labeled 648 mg/3.72 mL. What volume in mL should be administrated to a patient who is meant to recive 486 mg per dose?

I just use the simple crisscross calculation (sorry, don't know the right English term, I'm foreign :D ). The result is 2.79 mL.

4) Ferrous sulfate is one dietary supplement used to treat iron-deficiency anemia. How many milligrams of iron are in 250mg of ferrous sulfate?

I calculate the proportion of Fe in FeSO4 (it's 0.3676) then multiply it with 250 to get the amount of mgs in the given compound.

5) A 0.15 M solution of hydrochloric acid is used to titrate 30,0 mL of a calcium hydroxide solution of unknown concentration. If 140,0 mL of hydrochloric acid is required, what is the concentration (molarity) of the calcium hydroxide solution?

Ca(OH)2  +   2 HCl    :rarrow:    CaCl2    +    2 H20

I calculate the # of moles of 0.15 M HCl solution in 30.0 mL (result is 0,021 mol). Then I look at the ratio (stoichiometric equivalence) between the 2 reagents (Ca(OH2) : HCl = 1:2). Therefore the amount of Ca(OH)2 needed is twice less than HCl.

Now I have the needed information to calculate the concentration of Ca(OH)2. Result is 0.35 M.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: a few simple stoichiometry exercises check please!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
Your answers look good, but the last question is idiotic - Ca(OH)2 doesn't have that high solubility.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline John_Kimble

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:46:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yea, that's our school, they just make stuff up :D

Offline John_Kimble

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »
One more:

Calculate the molality of the phosphate acid solution having mass concentration of (this data is given, but I didn't manage to copy it in time, so I guess let's assume it's 1455 g/L - taken from http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/acid-str.htm ). Density of the solution is 1.689 g/cm^3.

mass concentration= m (solute) / V (solution) = 1455 g/L

density= m (solute) + m (solvent) / V (solution) = 1689 g/L

Therefore, I subtract the mass concentration from the density to get the mass of the solvent, which is 234g. Mass of solute is then 1455g.

Now I calculate the # of moles of solute ( M(H3PO4= 98 g/mol), which is 14.847 mol.

So, the final result, the molality is: b= n / m (solvent) = 63.45 mol/kg.

Is this the right procedure, or did I mess it up somewhere? Thanks a lot!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Looks OK to me (but I just skimmed).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline John_Kimble

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »
I will trust your skimming abilities then ;D Thank you.

It looks like a very easy / straightforward problem, I guess the "tricky part" is getting the mass of the solvent.

Sponsored Links