April 25, 2024, 05:06:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Effusion: Calculations  (Read 2414 times)

Offline TWEWY

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Effusion: Calculations
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
I'm so close to being done for the semester, but these problems are giving me some trouble could anyone please tell me how to figure them out?

A sample of CO2 gas is observed to effuse through a pourous barrier in 6.41 minutes. Under the same conditions, the same number of moles of an unknown gas requires 5.24 minutes to effuse through the same barrier. The molar mass of the unknown gas is _____ g/mol

The rate of effusion of SO2 gas through a pourous barrier is observed to be 3.78E-4 mol / h. Under the same conditions, the rate of effusion of H2 gas would be ____ mol/h

The average molecular speed in a sample of He gas is 1.36E+3 m/s at 351 K. The average molecular speed in a sample of O2 gas is _____ m/s at the same temperature.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Effusion: Calculations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »
I'm so close to being done for the semester, but these problems are giving me some trouble could anyone please tell me how to figure them out?

A sample of CO2 gas is observed to effuse through a pourous barrier in 6.41 minutes. Under the same conditions, the same number of moles of an unknown gas requires 5.24 minutes to effuse through the same barrier. The molar mass of the unknown gas is _____ g/mol

The rate of effusion of SO2 gas through a pourous barrier is observed to be 3.78 x 10-4 mol / h. Under the same conditions, the rate of effusion of H2 gas would be ____ mol/h

The average molecular speed in a sample of He gas is 1.36 x103 m/s at 351 K. The average molecular speed in a sample of O2 gas is _____ m/s at the same temperature.

Do you know any formulas that may help?

Offline TWEWY

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
Not a clue I can get one wrong and see how it's worked out, but I can't get the answer they do.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:52 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links