March 28, 2024, 12:01:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic Bonding Question  (Read 2500 times)

Offline allforza2

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ionic Bonding Question
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »
I had a homework assignment to find the most probable way that certain elements would get 8 valence electrons through bonding. My teacher said that gallium could lose its outer 3 electrons to become stable. But isn't 8 electrons the most stable configuration? The next lower shell has 18. Wouldn't gaining 5 or Covalent Bonding be more likely?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Ionic Bonding Question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:06 AM »
But isn't 8 electrons the most stable configuration? The next lower shell has 18. Wouldn't gaining 5 or Covalent Bonding be more likely?

Though still a simplification, it is better to say that the ion will be most stable with a noble gas configuration - i.e. full outer shell. What constitutes a full outer ahell? Do you think it is always 8 electrons - what's better, Li+ (2 electrons) or Li7- (8 electrons)?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline allforza2

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
I understand that 2 electrons in the first shell make the ion stable. It takes less energy to take away one atom compared to adding 7. Like how Hydrogen is found usually in a diatomic form. so basically a full shell is stable. The electron count doesn't matter just that it's a full shell?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:24:05 AM »
The electron count doesn't matter just that it's a full shell?

Generally, the key is a full shell. It's not that the electron count is not important, it's that the electron count will correspond to a full shell, and the electron count of a full shell is not always 8 - it could be 2, 8, 18 or 32.

Be aware, this simplified picture does not hold for the transition metals and the heavier elements.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links