March 29, 2024, 11:07:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: UV-Vis....can you use an internal standard for OD measurement?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline 6jerfz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
UV-Vis....can you use an internal standard for OD measurement?
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
I know it is a regular practice in GC and HPLC to use internal standards to virtually eliminate the effects of systematic error, but can the IS method be applied to UV-Vis measurements for finding OD?

I couldn't really turn anything up on Google and I can't seem to find any resources regarding chemicals that could be used, so I think I know the answer, but for my edification, could someone explain why this can or can't be used? If it can be used, what's the best resource for finding appropriate IS's?

Thanks a bunch! (This is my first post here, hopefully I'll be around more :))

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: UV-Vis....can you use an internal standard for OD measurement?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
Certainly, it could be done.  I first used an internal standard to remove systemic errors from an HPLC analysis I was doing.  But even in that case, the real source of the error was my sloppy dilutions -- I was new to pipettors in those days.  So yes, if you suspect there are errors in the dilutions, or handling, or if the instrument autosamples, or has a systemic optical flaw, yes you can do it.  Don't know if that sort of thing comes up of often though.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links